• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

legal studies year 11 into year 12 (2 Viewers)

kittyc4tkittycar

HSC
does a lot of the content from year 11 legal studies carry over into year 12? does year 12 legal rely a lot on year 11 knowledge??
I kind of messed up this year for legal and I want to know if its salvageable LOL

deficientmailing

HSC
From what I remember, not alot of what you learnt in year 11 actually carried over into the HSC course

The syllabus had some areas which allowed for freedom in what they taught you - my teacher used it to teach us some content for the HSC course whereas yours might have not. I am sure that if there was something in the preliminary content that could be carried into the HSC course that your teacher would have told you beforehand.

If you're really worried about it then I would just look up the hsc legal syllabus online, go through what you will learn and see if theres anything that you have already covered

If you did not do well in legal in the preliminary course, think of starting year 12 as a fresh slate and a new chance for you to impress your classmates and teacher

get ready to write a stupid amount of essays lol

enchantedivory27

HSC
Mostly bail is the same, that's drilled in my head at least, so know the reforms for that (1978, 2013, 14, 15) . Some young offenders is rehashed in crime but its not the most crucial syllabus point. Options is completely new, human rights is a bit similar? well the whole point is to set up for hsc and it definitely does that.

basically though please dont panic, you will be fine, just have to put in the work and keep with the new content as best you can. Good luck!

kittyc4tkittycar

HSC
Mostly bail is the same, that's drilled in my head at least, so know the reforms for that (1978, 2013, 14, 15) . Some young offenders is rehashed in crime but its not the most crucial syllabus point. Options is completely new, human rights is a bit similar? well the whole point is to set up for hsc and it definitely does that.

basically though please dont panic, you will be fine, just have to put in the work and keep with the new content as best you can. Good luck!
got it, thanks! :)

HSC

Hey do u have any study tips for y12 legal. I seriously bombed my prelims and I’m desperate to make a recover :,)

enchantedivory27

HSC
Hey do u have any study tips for y12 legal. I seriously bombed my prelims and I’m desperate to make a recover :,)
Answered this the other day lol here is my tips! good luck legal is great!

Always make the most of class time and pay attention, saves you time at home and better to ask questions and struggle in class with a teacher than at home.
Ive never been rigorous like set times to study, i feel shit if i dont do everything i said i would at this exact time. But i do like to write a calendar and say ok today im going to do English and legal, tomorrow i will do science and multimedia, stuff like that. TBH i only do the calendar thing leading up to exams, in middle of term its doing what i have to do for assessments and keeping on top of content.
Study tips - flashcards are the best especially for legal and english quotes. As a legal kid i say always keep up with content as best u can, its so shit for this subject if you are weeks behind, like stuff happens in life and if thats it for you, copy the slides, media articles etc into Chat GPT and ask it to summarise for you - so much quicker! but then i would say handwrite it out to retain it as u likely will need it for tests.

legal best way to study is knowing your LCDMI and as long as thats in your essays you are gaining marks, and when its evaluating say WHY something is effective or not, dont just plop it in and say "this bail law reform was ineffective" ok why is that? mostly say if it balances rights of community/offender/victim or if it achieves justice or not.
timing yourself doing essay plans is great too, sit down with a crime or options question for 5 minutes and write down what is in each body para, what you know, do open book, timed then try to do closed, not timed then closed timed.
Christmas break i worked on ideas for major project mostly, didnt honestly do heaps like def have a break its your last proper break for the rest of hsc. I did do legal human rights summaries which saved me SO MUCH for half yearly and trials - so recommend that too.
Hope this helps, its all about balance in the end like have fun, have a life outside school, dont stop working unless ofc for exams, i needed that

enchantedivory27

HSC
AND
this is me being Type A but i always highlighted LCDMI in yellow! it helped me organise my notes as thats the most important part of legal hands down. so you could do yellow or another colour, but dont mix it up alot.
you could do this for other things like judgement but its not as important to pedantically colour haha

HSC
Answered this the other day lol here is my tips! good luck legal is great!

Always make the most of class time and pay attention, saves you time at home and better to ask questions and struggle in class with a teacher than at home.
Ive never been rigorous like set times to study, i feel shit if i dont do everything i said i would at this exact time. But i do like to write a calendar and say ok today im going to do English and legal, tomorrow i will do science and multimedia, stuff like that. TBH i only do the calendar thing leading up to exams, in middle of term its doing what i have to do for assessments and keeping on top of content.
Study tips - flashcards are the best especially for legal and english quotes. As a legal kid i say always keep up with content as best u can, its so shit for this subject if you are weeks behind, like stuff happens in life and if thats it for you, copy the slides, media articles etc into Chat GPT and ask it to summarise for you - so much quicker! but then i would say handwrite it out to retain it as u likely will need it for tests.

legal best way to study is knowing your LCDMI and as long as thats in your essays you are gaining marks, and when its evaluating say WHY something is effective or not, dont just plop it in and say "this bail law reform was ineffective" ok why is that? mostly say if it balances rights of community/offender/victim or if it achieves justice or not.
timing yourself doing essay plans is great too, sit down with a crime or options question for 5 minutes and write down what is in each body para, what you know, do open book, timed then try to do closed, not timed then closed timed.
Christmas break i worked on ideas for major project mostly, didnt honestly do heaps like def have a break its your last proper break for the rest of hsc. I did do legal human rights summaries which saved me SO MUCH for half yearly and trials - so recommend that too.
Hope this helps, its all about balance in the end like have fun, have a life outside school, dont stop working unless ofc for exams, i needed that
AHH thank u! This is rlly helpful 💗 good luck with ur hsc!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)