• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Likelihood of mid-year entry for arts? (1 Viewer)

dactylonomist

HSC
Hi all
Just wondering if anyone at Melbourne Uni knew what the drop-out rate for arts is like this year. I started architecture at Monash on scholarship and hated it after two weeks and thus, I am hoping to apply for arts mid-year if possible....
Apparently there were only 10 places on offer last year...
What about commerce?

oLii

HSC
Off topic but what was so bad about archi?

dactylonomist

HSC
It was a fine arts course in disguise! It involved 13 weeks of life-drawing, art theory (such as 'why furniture with no legs is popular') and hanging eggs from the ceiling with string. I'm all for creativity and hands-on learning, but it did seem a bit pointless. Plus, you're expected to be on campus all the time, despite having less than 15 contact hours (i.e. weekend access is a 'must.') It's not very flexible for students who want to work...
I'd recommend studying environments at Melbourne; you major in architecture but you're not forced to take really arty subjects.
The architecture facilities at Monash are brilliant and the staff are very friendly. It's just not the course I was after :)

Last edited:

oLii

HSC
Yeah I was wondering if they were going to go a bit overboard with creativity.. saw the string room exhibition on the website..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)