• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

List of band 6- state rank language/visual techniques (1 Viewer)

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Does anyone here have a list of band 6 language/visual techniques?

Thanks in advance

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Really eyeseeyou !
Okay maybe I thought of the wrong thing Simorgh

Anyways, I heard about (from my english teacher) you should use 'band six language techniques' such as double entre (don't know how to spell it). A metaphor or a similie gets you a band 4-5

si2136

HSC
N/A
Learn a bunch of HQ techniques and apply it properly.

authenticity

Povo Child
HSC

Anyways, I heard about (from my english teacher) you should use 'band six language techniques' such as double entre (don't know how to spell it). A metaphor or a similie gets you a band 4-5
Metaphors and similes are not band 4-5 techniques. In fact, there are no bands. But I'm guessing your teacher is telling you to use "sophisticated" uncommon techniques that would make your essay look "good." It's actually better to use the common techniques because believe it or not, not all english markers will know the uncommon ones. Your aim is to write an essay that the marker can read, understand and provide analysis that backs up your point. What's the point of chucking in techniques that markers don't know? It's best to stick to the common ones and provide a profound analysis. That's how you get band 6.

And this isn't just essays. It's same for short answers. Stick to the common ones because 1) easiest to find and 2) easiest to apply to your explanation.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Metaphors and similes are not band 4-5 techniques. In fact, there are no bands. But I'm guessing your teacher is telling you to use "sophisticated" uncommon techniques that would make your essay look "good." It's actually better to use the common techniques because believe it or not, not all english markers will know the uncommon ones. Your aim is to write an essay that the marker can read, understand and provide analysis that backs up your point. What's the point of chucking in techniques that markers don't know? It's best to stick to the common ones and provide a profound analysis. That's how you get band 6.

And this isn't just essays. It's same for short answers. Stick to the common ones because 1) easiest to find and 2) easiest to apply to your explanation.
Yeah I think so. What would be some examples of uncommon language techniques?

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad

When it comes to HSC marking, it's all about how you use techniques. Even band 6 (or state rank essays) are bound to use simple techniques, such as simile or metaphor or imagery. While I think it's true that state ranking essays are bound to use more sophisticated techniques, you have to understand that these state rankers are using them in the right way. A sophisticated technique on it's own doesn't amount to a band 6 or a state rank. From my own HSC English experience, a good mix of frequently used techniques and uncommon techniques served me well - probably stacked my essays more with the former, and less of the latter (but still some).

HOWEVER, if your teacher is the one marking your essays for assessments, it'd be best that you please their preferences. If your teacher likes to see techniques such as double entendre or polysyndeton then it'd be wise to incorporate many of them.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
When it comes to HSC marking, it's all about how you use techniques. Even band 6 (or state rank essays) are bound to use simple techniques, such as simile or metaphor or imagery. While I think it's true that state ranking essays are bound to use more sophisticated techniques, you have to understand that these state rankers are using them in the right way. A sophisticated technique on it's own doesn't amount to a band 6 or a state rank. From my own HSC English experience, a good mix of frequently used techniques and uncommon techniques served me well - probably stacked my essays more with the former, and less of the latter (but still some).

HOWEVER, if your teacher is the one marking your essays for assessments, it'd be best that you please their preferences. If your teacher likes to see techniques such as double entendre or polysyndeton then it'd be wise to incorporate many of them.
Thanks ROT

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)