Listening and reading answers (1 Viewer)

graceluvsA's

HSC
I think Italian is like the last language of the hsc so probs everyone else is done but ive been doing practice papers and why are the answers so specific. I swear in the listening and reading theres like one thing they say but I think its like stupid to include and it turns out to be the answer. I fully understand the text/audio its just that I forget the specific thing and I lose marks :(

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
This is an aspect of responding and marking listening and reading questions that is common across different HSC language subjects. The rationale behind it is that the more specific your answer is (as relevant to the question), the more you can effectively demonstrate your ability to understand the language, whether it is being spoken to you, as is the case of the listening section, or whether you must read texts in the target language (in this case, Italian), as is the case of the reading section.

Not only is discussing the correct element essential (since it is the focus of the question), but doing so specifically is better than trying to discuss the general significance of the element, which can lead to a longer (but not necessarily better quality) response as well as potential time loss. Consider the following example in French (you may be able to relate this to some of your own examples in Italian):

« Jean-Claude est parti en vacances avec sa femme. Ils se sont bien amusés ensemble en profitant de tout leur temps libre. Pendant leur voyage, ils ont découvert un dessert succulent: la bûche au chocolat. » (Jean-Claude went with his wife on holiday. They had fun together while making use of/enjoying their free time. During their trip, they discovered a delicious/succulent dessert: the chocolate log).

The translation is specific and if it were incorporated into a response to a particular question (as relevant to that question), it would be reasonable to suggest that the response would be of a good quality. On the other hand, if some aspects were missing and/or not directly addressed, the response may be of a lower quality. For instance:

"Jean-Claude went with his wife on holiday. They had fun together. During their trip, they enjoyed delicious desserts."
The good thing in your case is that you have no issues with understanding the audio and texts. Based on this, you should ensure that you complete as much practice material as possible. As you do this, you should focus on being as specific as possible in your answers, while being mindful of time management. The more you do this, the greater your ability to be specific in your answers.

I hope this helps! 😄

HSC
I think Italian is like the last language of the hsc so probs everyone else is done but ive been doing practice papers and why are the answers so specific. I swear in the listening and reading theres like one thing they say but I think its like stupid to include and it turns out to be the answer. I fully understand the text/audio its just that I forget the specific thing and I lose marks :(
Hey there,

I am doing Italian continuers and my advice is to just translate everything and put it in your answer. It's better to have everything so you don't risk losing marks. The only exception is in the summary question in the listening (if you have them in beginners). In that case, generalise what you hear in the audio to the two-three main points of the text - don't add any extras, just get to the point.

In saying that, in bocca lupo per il tuo esame! Sono contenta che ho finalmente incontrato un' altra studentessa che studia l'italiano. Siamo veramente una razza rara 😆

graceluvsA's

HSC
Hey there,

I am doing Italian continuers and my advice is to just translate everything and put it in your answer. It's better to have everything so you don't risk losing marks. The only exception is in the summary question in the listening (if you have them in beginners). In that case, generalise what you hear in the audio to the two-three main points of the text - don't add any extras, just get to the point.

In saying that, in bocca lupo per il tuo esame! Sono contenta che ho finalmente incontrato un' altra studentessa che studia l'italiano. Siamo veramente una razza rara 😆
Grazie mille per il rispondo! In bocca al lupo per te. E si magari scrivevò tutto che leggo/sento, grazie per il cosiglio.

souli

HSC
Hey there,

that's what i did in my continuers exam too - it always works

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)