Listing texts (1 Viewer)

mis_C

HSC
is it true that you're not sposed to list your texts in the introduction? my friend told me that her english teacher sed that u shouldn't list ur texts coz the markers will kno what ur texts are once u start ur body of the essay?

jus need to clarify

xox_eMz_xox

HSC
of course thats the idea of the introduction to introduce what your talking about.
Are you sure your in year 12?

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
mis_C said:
is it true that you're not sposed to list your texts in the introduction? my friend told me that her english teacher sed that u shouldn't list ur texts coz the markers will kno what ur texts are once u start ur body of the essay?

jus need to clarify
Its common practice in the HSC to introduce your texts in the introduction, though if you are an exceptionally strong writer you can get away with not doing so. In my introductions I classically state my basic stance and cite my texts as proof of that stance making sure that rather than simply listing my texts I integrate the naming of them smoothly into the paragraph.

nwatts

HSC
Ah, no. I never have. And I very rarely get anything below 14. I have a HSC marker marking my essays.

_Benji_

HSC
Cheers nwatts....thats useful to know, i always find it hard to keep my thread sophisticated when i have to say something like "this can be seen in blah blah blah texts".... so really you can be pretty experimental in your essay style? they wont mark u down for not conforming to typical english essay scaffold?

nwatts

HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
You know you've been on BoS too much when you all your essay a thread :p

(this would have been funnier if the posts were in the right order)
Ah, thread = thesis = argument.

nwatts

HSC
_Benji_ said:
Cheers nwatts....thats useful to know, i always find it hard to keep my thread sophisticated when i have to say something like "this can be seen in blah blah blah texts".... so really you can be pretty experimental in your essay style? they wont mark u down for not conforming to typical english essay scaffold?
You can and you can't.

You've got to remember the HSC isn't going to test how well you write an essay. You're being tested on how much you know about a text or a concept. By that token, you need to conform to the structure of an essay in order to expose yourself to the highest range of marks - you need an intro, a body and a conclusion. You need to have points of discussion.

However, you can experiment to a degree. But the reader needs to be able to follow what you're saying fluently. My essays are always pushing structure around, which I'll often gain marks for. BUT - experimenting with structure means that you're going to be talking on a conceptual level, rather than on a textual level. You'll be dealing with concepts, challenging them, comparing texts and what they have to say about said concept, etc. etc.. The danger is (and i get marked down for it) in losing detail. You'll spend too much time on the "essay" not enough time on the texts.

I'll look for a few of my journeys essays if you want. They're usually very non-conformist, and score very well. I tend to lose marks in the module A/B essays because they're FAR more focused on texts rather than concept.

_Benji_

HSC
nwatts said:
talking on a conceptual level, rather than on a textual level.
Yes... that just sums up all of my english essays..... and its most annoying for history &memory and critical study- i always talk ideas rather than textual details...grrr

Hmm.... an essay would be great to have a look at

nwatts

HSC
I've attached an essay I did to the CSSA trial question.

Note, a) the lack of detail and b) the concept-driven thread.

I'll probably get a 13 for this one. It's not one of my best. I'd give you more, but I'm not at home.

nwatts

HSC
I rang up the HSC Advice line earlier, and the dude told me that no more than 30% of your essay should be dedicated to discussion, with the remaining 70% involved in detail from the texts. Considering mine are virtually the opposite, I have some study to do!

I ended up getting 12 for that essay I posted above btw. My teacher is purposefully marking me down to extract more detail, methinks. DAMN THIS NATION!

Götterfunken

HSC
I suffer from the same problem; I tend to discuss concepts, themes, values etc without including enough of the rather basic analysis and textual detail.

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
that doesn't really make sense to me gotterfunken, nwatts. yes, your central thesis should operate on a conceptual level linking all texts, HOWEVER, you can hardly pull together a substantial thesis without having a fully synthesised body of evidence (ie. techniques and extrapolated meanings) behind it --> otherwise, where's the support for your argument? any academic piece must contain evidence otherwise it's only use is as scrap paper

nwatts

HSC
silvermoon said:
that doesn't really make sense to me gotterfunken, nwatts. yes, your central thesis should operate on a conceptual level linking all texts, HOWEVER, you can hardly pull together a substantial thesis without having a fully synthesised body of evidence (ie. techniques and extrapolated meanings) behind it --> otherwise, where's the support for your argument? any academic piece must contain evidence otherwise it's only use is as scrap paper
My essays are supported, just not in enough detail. That's why I'm losing marks.

What's not to understand?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)