• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

LLB question (1 Viewer)

T

thegovernator

I'm doing an LLB at UTS, and I was wondering what subjects go towards calculating honours. We have to choose 48 credit points of law or non-law electives as part of the degree, and I was wondering, if I chose business and finance subjects as part of some of the electives, whether or not they would go towards calculating honours. Or whether it's strictly just the law subjects that get counted.

If they just count law subjects, I think it would be a disadvantage to do too many law electives given the hefty nature of the reading and preparation required to get good results (75+).

Wouldn't I be better off doing some business and finance subjects, to complement my degree if they are not counted in calculating honours rather than overloading with a lot of unnecessary law subjects which might not have too much practical relevance to what I want to end up doing. (corporate law).

But if I wanted to do corporate law should I try and transfer into Bus/Law?

Pretty confused here. If anyone knows the answers to these questions I'd be very grateful. Thanks.

http://www.handbook.uts.edu.au/law/ug/c10124.html

subdued123

HSC
Hope this helps answer your question:

from http://www.handbook.uts.edu.au/law/faculty/ug.html#honours

Honours

It is possible for students to gain an award with Honours in the Law degrees or the Law component of combined or double degrees.

The Bachelor of Laws degree is awarded with Honours, and does not require an additional Honours year. To this end, 76040 Research Thesis, which is a necessary requirement, must be undertaken as an optional subject of 6 credit points within the degree. This subject forms part of the credit points required for degree completion: 192 for the full-time or part-time degree, 144 for combined degrees. 76040 Research Thesis has requirements that students must comply with in addition to the Honours Regulations (below). Further details are available in the online subject description.

The Honours Regulations are:

1. Awards

1.1 Awards of the Law degree or the Law component of a combined degree shall be classified as follows:

1. degree (with First Class Honours)
2. degree (with Second Class Honours), and
3. degree.

1.2 Award of the degree with Second Class Honours shall not be graded.

2. Requirements of Honours

2.1 To qualify for an award of the degree with Honours a student shall:

1. successfully complete the subject 76040 Research Thesis
2. subject to requirements below, obtain an Honours mark, calculated in accordance with the formula 'Sum of All' (UTS law subject credit points x mark) divisible by the 'sum of all law subject credit points' such that:
1. for First Class Honours: no less than 75.00
2. for Second Class Honours: in the range of 70.00 and 74.99

(note that in calculating the Honours mark, rounding occurs to two decimal places)
3. not fail any subject after the first semester of study
4. successfully complete not less than 96 credit points of law subjects within the Faculty of Law
5. for the purpose of the calculation in (b), students may discount up to three of their worst subjects provided that at least 12 UTS Bachelor of Laws subjects are included in the calculation, and
6. a student's Honours mark shall include the mark obtained by the student in the subject Research Thesis notwithstanding that such a mark might be one of their worst subjects.

2.2 In exceptional circumstances the Director (Students) may modify or dispense with the requirements of Regulation 2.1, subject to appeal to the Faculty Board in Law.

T

thegovernator

Many thanks. I posted in haste without doing the digging first! I'm lazy. Sorry!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)