Longhorn won't have WinFS (1 Viewer)

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Seems that Longhorn won't have WinFS. That's one major feature that will make MacOSX 10.4 (Tiger) far superior </ Mac Support>

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
i was just looking at the feature list of WinFS....most of the features will only be used by advance users so i guess it isn't a great lost
looking at it, i don't think i'll even use it even if it is there!

it looks as though MS has pretty much completed the programing side of things, no idea why they are not implementing it into longhorn?? maybe they want people to keep updating

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Having not looked at said feature list and assuming it is like Mac's awaited "Spotlight" (which it sounds like) the average user WOULD want to use it. A lot.

EDIT: A quick readthrough suggests a mix of Mac's "Spotlight" and "Smart Folders". That is extremly useful ....

Last edited:

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
McLake said:
Having not looked at said feature list and assuming it is like Mac's awaited "Spotlight" (which it sounds like) the average user WOULD want to use it. A lot.

EDIT: A quick readthrough suggests a mix of Mac's "Spotlight" and "Smart Folders". That is extremly useful ....

check out this MSDN info page on winFS
info

yes some of the things might be useful, like file relational sorting and filtering but average user will not use it....except for prettier graphics nothing major in my view

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Well that depends on what you classify as average.

As a student:
- Can keep files that relate to a particular project together, files that relate to a subject together, files that relater to a topic together without having to resort to shortcuts.

As a business:
- Can keep files that relate to multiple projects logically together without shortcuts
- Can actually hope to find files that relate to projects (given vast amoumt of files)

As a home user:
- Not too much use I agree.

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
i'm sure that people have been sorting things out in different folders for decades....this just makes things look better

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Yes, but this lets you put things in two different folders at once.

Winston

HSC
It's been rumoured that WinFS would make it to the server side of Longhorn, as to the client side, it's gonna be a miss obviously.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)