Looking Ahead (1 Viewer)

chiselwick

HSC
N/A
Hello all, I'm currently in year 10 but I'm already thinking of university. I have several questions about the big picture. I've tried to get in touch with my careers advisor at school but he never contacts me back or he's always busy. Plus, I'd like to see the opinions of those currently in Uni.

On to my Questions:
1. I'm interested in the whole patenting idea. I'm looking into doing engineering/law. I know, a good 5-6 years. I'm really not sure what I'm doing though. I want to really research this choice. I'm interested in the whole engineering side... but I love law. I don't care if I have to sit in a room for 50 hours listenting to a monotone voice talking about some kid getting his car stolen. I've decided to combine the two. But my question is... I don't really know what the term "engineering law" means... like, you can have "commerce law" but does that mean you study both at the same time? i.e. Commerce AND Law all in one? What is the quickest way possible to complete the course(s)?

2. What can I do if I plan to go overseas to study? I've heard of an "IB"...What do I do for that?

3. Are there any notes or things I can read about Engineering Law (or anything related)?

Sorry for this post being quite wordy, I appreciate your time.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Okay, when u do a combined degree, u just do the courses (subjects) of both degrees, ie. there [probably] aren't any 'engineering law' subjects, you'd just do all the courses you need to qualify for the B Engineering and all the courses needed for the LLB.

The IB is an alternative to the HSC, you'd have to ask your principal or other type staff at your school to look into it. I think you have to be pretty genius or they won't bother letting you do it (not sure).

If you're interested in Law you would most likely do Legal Studies for the HSC (though it isn't necessary to do Law at uni at all, just good background I guess).

Do you know what kind of Engineering you'd like to do? You could start by looking those up, and also make sure you do at least 3 unit maths next year (makes first year engineering pretty easy) if you can.

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
let me tell ya that you wont want to do engo/law when you figure just how long you'll be at uni and just how hard it is.

and IB is for those wonderful international students - its a diploma award and it is kinda like getting a uai but not really.

drewbrow1

(Ninja)
HSC
chiselwick said:
Sorry for this post being quite wordy
Law student in the making.

If you want to work in patent law, I know nothing. Best snooping around the websites of major I.P. law firms at their grad programs to see what they want.

If you want to work in the patent office (IPAustralia), your best bet is to keep checking the website for jobs, no higher education is required, only a willingness to work up through the pay grades. The max salary is 70K for non-exec positions.

If you haven't organised your IB yet, it's probably too late. http://www.ibo.org/country/AU/index.cfm

chiselwick

HSC
N/A
I am taken aback by the amount of things I have to do. I know that the Engineering Law idea will take a considerable portion of years, but I'm willing to sacrifice that.

I was told by a careers interviewer that I should look at plastics engineering... Hmm, gentics egineering interests me quite a bit. I'm stressed out about making decisions that could affect my whole life. I really do have my mind set on Law though.

Thank you so much for your replies. So in a sense is an IB like...applying for a rhodes scholarship? That kind of brilliant?

What kind of law do you guys study and recommend?

I am doing work experience this year and will be assisting a lawyer in the field of Criminal Law. Although, I don't consider doing that as a profession.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
IB is kind of like the international version of HSC, it's just a qualification to get into uni. Since it's international you can apply overseas, although I would strongly recommend against doing an undergrad course overseas. In addition IB is offered by few schools in NSW, Redlands, Trinity and MLC are the only ones I'm aware that offers IB (and probably the only ones).

Don't worry about what type of law until after you get in. It's largely irrelevant earlier on.

chiselwick

HSC
N/A
So it is suffice to say that the IB system is just a ticket that justifies my [FONT=&quot]eligibility to study overseas? Is it wise to apply for the IB when it is possible to apply for a scholarship? I hear that there was a "thirteenth" year to school if you undertake the IB, what is the affect of that?

Thanks for the calirification though. It seems as though I have a lot to think through. I'm attempting to change schools again... but my current school does "apparently" provide the IB.
[/FONT]

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
The IB doesn't justify anything. It simply makes entrance slightly easier. If you had the HSC marks to match it could get you overseas as well. Unless you're exceptionally bright and overseas unis are willing to give you a scholarship (considering the competition, it's almost impossible) you are better off doing undergrad here instead.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)