Lord of the Rings Fans (obsessive ones included) (2 Viewers)

E

Elenessa

Is anyone out there who's a LOTR obsessed fan? I've been labelled a freak because of LOTR:vcross: while obsessed HP fans are just fans (no offence HP fans, I'm one too)

Emma-Jayde

Muahahahaha
HSC
Glad to see I'm not the only one who owns and has read all those books multiple times!!!
Hehehe...The Hobbit was what got me interested in riddles...

But I must agree with Argonaut WoT over LotR, but I think I count as obsessive over both...

Last edited:

viviena

rawr.
HSC
Not obsessed as such... Love the story though, have read LOTR, the Silm, and UT multiple times -- probably not as much as Bookie though.

Firnovvwen

HSC
I'm into Lord of the Rings yes. I was obsessed, but there's no more after the third book/movie. Is it just me or are those movies long? I know if Pete Jackson included everything that was in the book, it would've turned out to be 6 hour movies each...or longer. All people seem to tell me is, "oh, I hate LotR 'coz it's so fucking long" and it's really annoying.

But the best thing is telling people I've read the books.

They look at me like I'm a crazed monkey and try to send me to a psychiatrist to help me cure my problem.

It didn't work.

PerfectByNature

I am Jack's wasted life
HSC
i love LotR... ive read all the books a couple of times each and the Hobbit, theyre wonderful books... and ive seen the movies each a couple of times, i went to the marathon of all three movies when the third one came out, it was awesome seeing them all like that.

Emma-Jayde

Muahahahaha
HSC
Argonaut said:
But do the books after Lord of Chaos really slow down like it's said they do? Mind you, Nynaeve is described as the second-least popular character (after another I haven't met yet), but she's my favourite (along with Rand and Lan).
Faile as least popular maybe?
Yeah, they do slow down a bit, but they're still good to read. But I quite like Nynaeve too, I don't get what everyone has against her.

Riewe

HSC
While i have yet to read much other fantasy stuff (a few here and there), there is no replacing LOTR in my book.

Tolkien was a genius, and all his works shows this. And hence LOTR is justifiably the 2nd mst popular book in the world

J

jhakka

Firnovvwen said:
I'm into Lord of the Rings yes. I was obsessed, but there's no more after the third book/movie. Is it just me or are those movies long? I know if Pete Jackson included everything that was in the book, it would've turned out to be 6 hour movies each...or longer. All people seem to tell me is, "oh, I hate LotR 'coz it's so fucking long" and it's really annoying.

But the best thing is telling people I've read the books.

They look at me like I'm a crazed monkey and try to send me to a psychiatrist to help me cure my problem.

It didn't work.
If you read the appendices, there is a lot of info about what happens after the third book. :)

keladry

lady knight
HSC
i'm not a true obsessed fan in my books, but people still count me in for some reason... must be the way i've written my name in quenyan and the size of my bookshelf.

of course i'm more obsessed about other fantasy - narnia and tamora pierce top the list. i first read narnia when i was 8, and re-read for 10 years straight, some years waaaaay more than once. lotr i've read something like 4-5 times... and the hobbit and silm only 3. so i'm not obsessed... am i?

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
keladry said:
i'm not a true obsessed fan in my books, but people still count me in for some reason... must be the way i've written my name in quenyan and the size of my bookshelf.

of course i'm more obsessed about other fantasy - narnia and tamora pierce top the list. i first read narnia when i was 8, and re-read for 10 years straight, some years waaaaay more than once. lotr i've read something like 4-5 times... and the hobbit and silm only 3. so i'm not obsessed... am i?
Don't worry, I've read them more than you and I'm quite normal. *puts balrog costume on dog*

PerfectByNature

I am Jack's wasted life
HSC
kami said:
Don't worry, I've read them more than you and I'm quite normal. *puts balrog costume on dog*
hshahahhah, youre funny.

i like Tamora Pierce but sometimes her books are too childish... i really loved them a couple of yrs ago but i reread them recently and they just dont seem as good.

ariande

The Don
HSC
I believe you count as obsessive if you begin learning Quenyan or Sindarin... or any of his other languages

jennylim

HSC
ariande said:
I believe you count as obsessive if you begin learning Quenyan or Sindarin... or any of his other languages
my sister began learning quenya. she learnt the elvish poems by heart and goes around chanting them. in my mind she is the EPITOME of tolkien freak (she has even read the silmarillion)....and she is 12!!!!!!! aaargh.

i am mild by comparison, but amongst my friends i am certainly an obsessive LotR fan. i love the books very much, and believe the movies are a wonderfully faithful rendition. beautiful! such an enormous epic - to think tolkien created entire worlds with histories and languages just astounds me. he had such incredible vision.

Last edited:

Riewe

HSC
I don't think learning elvish is that obsessive. Only if you start talking it in everyday terms (using elvish phrases instead of english ones, like some star trek and star wars fans do), that you need help.

A mild curiosity behind what Toklien really put his greatest effort into is not that bad i don't think

viviena

rawr.
HSC
ariande said:
It depends on the reason, I guess. If somebody wants to know Quenya or Sindarin just so they can get their name tattooed in the Elvish letters, get pointy-ear surgery, prance around outside so that they're 'communing' with nature and being all elfy, and overall aspire to 'be' (or more like 'look like') an elf, that's just damn creepy. That seems a bit too superficial to me.

Anyway, you can't 'learn' Sindarin or Quenya -- you only study it. You can't really communicate in it, because nobody can agree on how to say something simple in Sindarin like 'they were red', for example. I suppose people really devoted to studying the languages are people interested in linguistics or are language enthusiasts / polyglots in general, as well as the Tolkien fans who want to appreciate his works (good point there Riewe!).

Last edited:

Bookie

Banned
HSC
I tried learning Quenya off the net. Got through the first three chapters out of seven, but then...oh well. Car tiuca car niscime (I think that was a good quote, like "You have a thick head")

Oh, and I love singing "May It Be" by Enya.

MORNIE UTULIE
Mornie Alantie

Ahhhhhhhhhhh.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)