Lycurgus Sources.. Bah. (1 Viewer)

Madusa

HSC
I am so confused by my assessment I'm currently trying to do, I don't understand what sources my teacher wants!

The assessment is to write an essay on the following:

Assess the significance of Lycurgus' reforms to Spartan society. In your assessment of Lycurgus evaluate both the modern and ancient sources (referred to in your answer) for their usefulness, validity and bias.

I have to use between 3 and 5 sources, 2 of which should be ancient - one archaeological and one historical, and one modern.

What sorts of things should I look for in these sources...?

i love to act

HSC
Just research Lycurgus' reforms, in conjunction with different archaeological and historical views on him. I mean, did Lycurgus really exist?
Poets at the time didn't speak of him whatsoever, however, only sources after his existance (e.g. Herodotus) speak of his significance, and how 'brilliant' his reforms were to Greek society.
So ... you must assess his significance (based on different sources), and then evaluate these sources for their usefulness, validity and bias - e.g. whether they're exagerrated in some way or another, whether they're useful to your understanding etc etc etc. Oh, and one way you can evaluate this is through extensive background research.
There are so many sources around, it really isn't too hard!
I'd probably start off with looking around the Internet, then searching through various books - check out both your local library and/or school library, in conjunction with a University library (if you're committed).
Good Luck.

Cowwithgun

HSC
Bump.
I am more confused about the Archaeological sources than anything else. Since it is hotly debated whether Lycurgus is actually a real historical figure or a myth, is there actually any Archaeological evidence of him? OR should i just talk about archaeological evidence of the reforms themselves?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)