M&G: Edison vs Westinghouse (1 Viewer)

forsaken_99

There's this dot point in the generators section of M&G about assessing the competition between Edison and Westinghouse. I asked my teacher about this and he had no clue about it. Also it ain't in any textbooks i've looked at.

Any help?

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
That's because of Tesla. Tesla went to edison's DC company, but then soon quit. After that, tesla sold the AC patents to westinghouse, and westinghouse owned DC soonafter. Hence, Tesla owned Edison.

It's kind-of funny, because tesla worked for less than a year at Edison's company before selling his stuff to westinghouse. Maybe revenge to a bad workplace treatment? :D

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
thats cuz edison was up himself wif his DC generators and totally barred tesla. apparently tesla ripped up a royalty agreement wif westinghouse when the company was going thru a tough patch, where each kilowatt generated using his AC generators = 2buck 50 to him... haha too bad.

Viper

HSC
The rivalry between Westinghouse and Edison was called the 'battle of the currents'.

In 1887 a prize of $20 000 was offered to the company that could design and construct a system to gernerate hydro-electricity at Nigagra falls and tranmit the electricity to Buffalo (25km away)

As we know, AC (Westinghouse) won. This was because of the troubles Edison had concerning Power Loss. The advantage of AC was the ability to step up the voltage.

One of Edison's main selling points was that using high voltage was too dangerous.... Oh well... what did he know??

There you go guys...

Cheers

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Hmm... After all my study, I don't think i've ever seen this dot point ever! ??

Weird.... Good thing they didn't ask any of this.

Fosweb

I could be your Doctor...
HSC
There was competition between these two, because they both thought that their methods of supplying electricity to towns was the better one.

Both thought they were right, and tried to prove the other wrong.
The electric chair came into it about here...
AC current at about 50-60 Hz can paralyse you, so AC was used for execution.
AC was/is better, but Edison used the electric chair as an example (conducting further 'tests' on animals to prove its danger) to try to get rid of AC.

forsaken_99

That looks good enough for me. Thanks very much.

I was just worried as M&G hasn't been really hit upon and this might be in this years exam. You never know?

Matt200

How in depth do you think we should go with this dotpoint. Is it possible they could ask a 5+ mark question on it.

Rahul

Dead Member
the verb used for the dot-point is 'analyse', the marks can range from 4-10, so, like fosweb said, best to be safe:)

jayz

walking
Continuing with my spirit in hating the NEW (& improved) physics, what we have just discussed has more to do with history of technology (i.e. adv english/ modern history), than theoretical physics, which is what phy is suppose to be about.

Rahul

Dead Member
some of this 'history' physics is quite interesting imo, it explains why things came to be.

but the theoretical, how things came to be, should be the bulk of the course.

i suspect that the impact on society dot-points might get taken out in the next ammendment.

Nezz

HSC
I downloaded this from the recently updated M&G part of the hsc online website... this is the most info i've found on it anywhere...

Sample analysis

In the late nineteenth century, Edison favoured generating and supplying direct current (DC) electricity while Westinghouse promoted the use of alternating current (AC) electricity.

Edison had the initial advantage that the technology for generating DC was well established and DC worked well over short distances. However, DC could only be generated and distributed at the voltages at which it was used by consumers. This meant that currents in conductors were large, leading to huge and expensive energy losses over distances of more than one or two kilometres. To supply a large city required many power stations throughout the city and an unattractive proliferation of wires to carry the required current.

The great advantage of AC was that, through the use of transformers , the voltage could be stepped up or down as required. This meant that AC could be generated at moderately low voltages, stepped up to high voltages for transmission over great distances and stepped down again to lower voltages for consumers. The higher voltage meant that AC could be transmitted over greater distances than DC, with smaller energy losses. Power stations could be fewer and further apart and conductors could be lighter.

The economic advantages of AC, including the smaller energy losses and the economy of scale in needing fewer power stations further apart, along with the unattractive web of wires required for DC, supported Westinghouses solution to the supply of electricity over Edisons. AC received a boost in popularity with Teslas invention of the induction motor which operates only on AC.

Competition was not always open and fair. Edison had a vested interest in DC as he owned hundreds of DC power stations and all of his many electrical inventions to that time ran on DC. Edison attempted to prove that AC was very dangerous by electrocuting animals on stage and convincing authorities to use AC for the first electric chair. He resorted to legal tactics in an attempt to have AC banned and to prevent its use with his inventions. Edison seems to have unreasonably shunned AC electricity. AC eventually came to be the dominant form in which electricity is generated world-wide.

But DC has the advantage of not causing losses through electromagnetic radiation or magnetic induction. With solid-state switching it is now relatively simple to change between DC and AC at high or low voltages. High voltage DC transmission is now practicable. Scientists are striving to develop super-conducting wires for power transmission. If they do, DC could become the preferred current for long distance transmission. There is already a 500 kV DC submarine transmission line carrying 2800 MW over 50 km between the two islands of Shikoku and Kansai in Japan.

Nezz

HSC
they've updated the last 3 sections of m&g... thats all i know so far... havent checked the rest

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)