• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Major Project 2005 (1 Viewer)

timgurto

HSC
Hello everyone. If anyone wants to talk about their major project, ideas, or anything else, go ahead. I might as well start it off. Ive been programming in VB since year 8, and i thought i'd really try to challenge myself, so I'm making a strategy game, similar to the original Age of Empires. The graphics won't be as good, but i should be able to pull it off.
I'm looking forward to hearing from anyone who wants to talk about their project.

HellVeN

Banned
HSC
Hey, that sounds cool, will you be using vb6 or .net or 2005?
I'm about to install that Vb 2005 thing, and if i like it I'll probably be using that.
I'm still not entirely sure what to do and I haven't programmed in a long while either. I've posted some of my ideas in various other Major project threads if you want to know.

PoP 'n' Fresh

Poke me! I giggle!
HSC
timgurto, sounds fairly intensive there...
im wandering are you doing sdd accelerated? coz if you not, dont choose a hard project that will take up lots of time, coz yur gonna also have to concentrate on other subjects for hsc. really basic projects are enough, just put lots of effort into the theory part of it.
i did a network/internet chat program, 5 pages of coding (java =D), took me 2 days to code it, 1 week to debug it, and i put heaps of effort into the theory part (documentation, etc), and i got 100 for it. initially i said i was going to make some full kick ass program, that would do like everything.. but then after a week i realised theres no point.

anyway, my friend, whos been programming c++ for a while (and is quite good at it), tried to make a 3d asteroids game. in the end, it had many errors, and he lost heaps of marks.

so just because your heaps good at programming, doesnt mean you need to create a full stratergy graphics game (game development is quite hard, im saying from experience as i hve made many games). and this is just my opinion, but games dont work in vb =p
ive seen many ppl waste a month just devoted to their major project, and they miss work in other subjects... not the way to go

i dunno if your teacher will let you guys do whatever u want, but if he/she does, go for something easier... more time is reqd on documentation (internal and external, incl help files, etc)
basically u dont have to challenge yourself in yr 12.. when simple things are enough... challenge yourself after u complete your hsc and have free time to do whatever you want =)

timgurto

HSC
HellVeN, i use vb 6, and have since i stopped using Q-Basic a few years ago. ive never used .net, and i havent coded in c for a long time, and that was just really basic stuff which ive forgotten.
Our school doesn't offer any accelerated course, unfortunately. anyway, for a few years ive been thinking about making an rts. i don't consider myself a great programmer, but i spend a lot of time programming, making various little programs, like timers or LAN messengers. i do however have a fairly good idea about how exactly i'll go about the actual code, but i havent started that yet.
the main problem i have at the moment is relating Dataflow diagrams to VB applications. if anyone can help me in that area, i would be very much obliged. and if anyone wants to ask me any questions, i'll try to answer them.

HellVeN

Banned
HSC
Yeah, I see your argument Pop n Fresh. After all, you don't have to make an overly complex program to get a decent mark. I am rethinking what to do hehe.
Now I'm thinking a small game, or a small but usefull app.

How many pages of documentation is expected? I've seen a few major projects from the current year 12's and it seems some had 100+ ! And what should the documentation have?

PoP 'n' Fresh

Poke me! I giggle!
HSC
DFD's are easily related to most simple systems. How many are you planning to make? as 1 DFD wont be enough for a farily large complex system (such as a rts).
the easiest way to relate DFD's to any problem is to try viewing the pseudocode aspect of it, not the actual programmed bit (i.e. VB).
The "user" will probably be one of the most important external entities in the DFD, with most inputs coming from the user (broken down. i dont know how your project is going to be implemented so im only assuming here).
for the processes of the product, you could (from the pseudocode) take important functions (assuming elegant solution =p)
Data storage will be what ever resources the solution takes from memory (graphics, etc).
being an rts, it will have great deals of repetition... so the DFD will "loop"... if you get what i mean =p

Doogsy

i did pong, using direct x, which wasnt overly hard. After I finished I added lots more features :) Maybe you could do a simple rts, but build on it after you finshed ur hsc.

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
HellVeN said:
After all, you don't have to make an overly complex program to get a decent mark.
Yeah, it's like 90% documentation, 10% if the program works. But testing comes under documentation, so if you can't carry out proper tests, then you're in trouble.

HellVeN said:
How many pages of documentation is expected? I've seen a few major projects from the current year 12's and it seems some had 100+ ! And what should the documentation have?
We got guidelines, both our sections handed in at 2 main stages had about 95 pages or a bit more for the second one. You need all the design stuff (feasabiliy reports etc), your algorithm, task modelling, etc

You should get told what you need for the basics *shrugs*.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)