Marking in Public vs Private Schools (1 Viewer)

shaffy33

HSC
Hey I go to a public school in the Top 100 in the state, they mark quiet strictly compared to many other school where my friends go to. I would like to ask for private schools such as an Islamics or Catholic, do the teachers try to boost the students internal marks so they have a better chance to get a better ATAR. Like for e.g The Standard English average in the cohort is like 60% in another school it’s like 80%+ My friend told me he got extra 10% added to his marks which went from 75 to 85% because the rest of the class got 85%! If this is the case would my schools marks be moderated as if the assignment is more difficult and the marked more harshly in my school??

blyatman

HSC
N/A
What a terrible system. If your friends school did that, then it means it's much harder to come first. The actual marks aren't taken into account when calculating the ATAR, it's only the rank and the relative distribution of marks that count.

shaffy33

HSC
What a terrible system. If your friends school did that, then it means it's much harder to come first. The actual marks aren't taken into account when calculating the ATAR, it's only the rank and the relative distribution of marks that count.
Yeah I was pretty surprised myself like how could they just do that, hmm so I see the rank and distribution of marks count heavily towards calculating the ATAR. Do you think our schools marks would be moderated like the average of the cohort is low and everyone finds the assignments pretty challenging.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Yeah I was pretty surprised myself like how could they just do that, hmm so I see the rank and distribution of marks count heavily towards calculating the ATAR. Do you think our schools marks would be moderated like the average of the cohort is low and everyone finds the assignments pretty challenging.
The actual marks don't matter as blyatman said, it's just the rank and the gap between each rank. Some schools may edit marks to make the ranks closer I think.

Mu-123

HSC
Yeah the school can basically review your marks and scale individual marks as they please. For example I go to a top 30 catholic school and they scaled up a few of the top English marks for the first assessment, to be quite close to 100%, I guess because they thought it was a good indicator of who they want at the top of the cohort, and wanted to give them a bit of a buffer....

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Yeah the school can basically review your marks and scale individual marks as they please. For example I go to a top 30 catholic school and they scaled up a few of the top English marks for the first assessment, to be quite close to 100%, I guess because they thought it was a good indicator of who they want at the top of the cohort, and wanted to give them a bit of a buffer....
Yeah I think I remember being 6th for english at the end but they scaled me up to be tied with 5th because my trials marks were really good compared to my start of the year marks, so I guess the teachers (sometimes) have good intentions when they change the marks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)