• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Master of Desing & international students, advice needed >>> (1 Viewer)

Mach

HSC
N/A
Hi, great forum!

Had to post a couple of questions as I'm a prospective international student looking into doing a Master of Design with a major in Branding Design at UTS. Seeing as it costs a fair bit to up sticks and travel to the other side of the world to study, I though it would be a good idea to ask you guys what you think of the department and the uni before I got involved in the whole admissions circus...

1) The degree seems to be quite highly regarded by UTS itself, but how do you guys studying in the department rate it?

2) Does your department get a lot of international students? Are Northern Europeans common or am I going to be in a select group of one?!

3) I've been past the main UTS "tower" a number of times, and without being totally unfair, the building looks pretty uninspiring. Now I don't consider this to be a problem, but I hope the inside is better than the outside in terms of facilities, computers, creative space, etc. Is it?

4) In terms of my background, I'm originally from the UK with a BA in Media with decent grades from a good uni over there. I also have some seven years experience of working here in Sweden for creative agencies as a copywriter, branding consultant and designer. Does this sound like the kind of bloke the department would let in?!

Sorry if similar questions have been answered anywhere else in the forum. I did look, but couldn't find the answers anywhere.

Thanks a lot for the help,

Mach

Daemontreu

What.
HSC
N/A
1) The DAB faculty itself is a bit... varied. I've had some fabulous teachers, and I've had some teachers that were rather lacking.

2) You definitely won't be a group of one. Or if you are, you're in an unusual year.

3) Building 1 (The Tower) is uninspiring. It's one of the most loathsome buildings on the city campus, though visiting it may be necessary upon occasion I've managed to survive for a year at UTS without venturing in there except for compulsory classes and to get my subject readers. The computer facilities there are ok... but chances are that if you're doing design you'll actually be based in Building 6 (the Peter Johnson Building), which has much better computer facilities (and better food, even if it is more expensive).

4) Based on my exceedingly limited experience I'd hazard a: Yes.

Mm... answering old posts. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)