MATH1251 Questions HELP (1 Viewer)

seanieg89

HSC
Yeah I'll buy that if nobody comes with a better idea
What don't you find appealing about that idea? It is a fundamental skill in analysis to isolate the part of of an ugly expression that dominates behaviour (in this case n^{-n}), and to bound uglier expressions by nicer expressions.

leehuan

HSC
What don't you find appealing about that idea? It is a fundamental skill in analysis to isolate the part of of an ugly expression that dominates behaviour (in this case n^{-n}), and to bound uglier expressions by nicer expressions.
It's easier to deal with, but I was hoping for a more obvious method

leehuan

HSC
Well ok, I didn't want to use the word "trivial" because I figured there wouldn't be one. But otherwise I don't know what word would be appropriate to use

seanieg89

HSC
Its way more natural IMO. The sequence decreases so rapidly that the sign of terms is irrelevant (i.e. it is absolutely convergent contrary to your original claim).

Bounding it above by the sequence n^(-n) makes this abundantly clear.

The alternating series test is more useful for things that do not converge absolutely (like the alternating harmonic series), because the conclusion is weaker.

leehuan

HSC
Its way more natural IMO. The sequence decreases so rapidly that the sign of terms is irrelevant (i.e. it is absolutely convergent contrary to your original claim).

Bounding it above by the sequence n^(-n) makes this abundantly clear.

The alternating series test is more useful for things that do not converge absolutely (like the alternating harmonic series), because the conclusion is weaker.
Are you sure that it converges absolutely? Or were you not referring to my original question and instead the one Paradoxica used

Further reference: I applied the limit form of the comparison test with 1/n

seanieg89

HSC
You wrote n^(-n-1/n) in your original post and all subsequent posts until this wolfram comment, in which you have used n^(-1-1/n).

The absolute convergence of the series paradoxica mentioned implies the absolute convergence of the former series you did, and yes I am 100% certain of this fact.

The latter does not converge absolutely and is a more appropriate candidate for the alternating series test.

leehuan

HSC
Ah never mind. I don't have that paper with me right now, so I'm gonna apologise - I think I typed the question wrong this whole time..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tsonga

HSC
IMG_2525.JPG
Can someone explain the working in finding the matrix when they give a basis

Thanks

kawaiipotato

HSC
View attachment 33588
Can someone explain the working in finding the matrix when they give a basis

Thanks
The general method for this is
For a linear mapping T: V -> W
with basis B = {v1,v2,v3,...,vn} for the domain and C = {u1,u2,u3,...,un} for the codomain then the matrix of T is A = [a1 a2 a3 ... an] (where ak is the k'th column vector of the matrix A) and
ak = [T(vk)]_C (the coordinate vector of vk with respect to the ordered basis C in the codomain)
Using this, we just find
a1 = [T(1)]_C
a2 = [T(e^(itheta)]_C
a3 = [T(e^(-itheta)]_C and put this into a matrix as columns

Last edited:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Yeah in the integral test, the sum and integral have the same convergence/divergence status. This is because when proving the integral test, we bound the sum between two integral estimates using the integral in question, and then take the limit and use the squeeze law.

Besides, if you believe that convergence/divergence of integral implies convergence/divergence of the sum, then the sum implying the integral follows automatically from this (basically by using contrapositive).

leehuan

HSC
I always get confused when they map to a matrix

leehuan

HSC
I've forgotten how to do this, because it's for a sequence and an integer N, so I forgot if we need floor or ceiling function (or rather tired and can't work it out from my intuition)

Some progress:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
I've forgotten how to do this, because it's for a sequence and an integer N, so I forgot if we need floor or ceiling function (or rather tired and can't work it out from my intuition)

Some progress:

Last edited:

leehuan

HSC

Cause I get the intuition method but I might miss it in the exam

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)