MATH2111 Higher Several Variable Calculus (1 Viewer)

leehuan

HSC
Chain rule was what was on my mind, but I was getting lost at how to use it

I also started doubting myself, questioning if it's meant to be a Jacobian or just h-dash.

Unless, the answer is just that Jh(a) = 0 so RHS = 0 as well

Edit: Uh, nvm, found a gap in my learning.

Last edited:

seanieg89

HSC
I thought I had it but I probably didn't. Not sure what I could possibly do next after

I really don't feel like that should be the final answer either. Any further guidance?
Idk what they want you to say with that wording and those assumptions really. Basically it just means that the image of f'(a) is a subspace of the kernel of g'(f(a)), or equivalently that the image of f'(a) is orthogonal to the gradient vector of g at f(a).

leehuan

HSC
Figures, should've thought in that direction

leehuan

HSC
What have you tried so far? Did you try maybe considering the inverse function theorem?
That was definitely the starting point, but that just asserted that there exists an open set that is open, not right?

Image of an open set under a continuous function might not be open

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
That was definitely the starting point, but that just asserted that there exists an open set that is open, not right?
Also, if V is a subset of U, then f(V) is automatically a subset of f(U) (true for any function and sets (that make sense)).

(Or maybe you meant that it doesn't state that f(V) is open.)

Last edited:

leehuan

HSC
Also, if V is a subset of U, then f(V) is automatically a subset of f(U) (true for any function and sets (that make sense)).

(Or maybe you meant that it doesn't state that f(V) is open.)
Yeah the latter lol

Just a yes or no answer please because I can't just tell what to use immediately. I know that it converges pointwise to the zero function.

Because seeing as though it converges pointwise to something continuous I doubt I can use that, and the Weierstrass M-test doesn't even seem relevant.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Yeah the latter lol

Just a yes or no answer please because I can't just tell what to use immediately. I know that it converges pointwise to the zero function.

Because seeing as though it converges pointwise to something continuous I doubt I can use that, and the Weierstrass M-test doesn't even seem relevant.
No

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)