• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Maths problems :/ (1 Viewer)

mrkeyss

HSC
Maths problems

As you may or may not be aware, Im no arithmetic person, never was, never will be.
I have chosen 2U math but am considering General but heard it scales bad what should i do and i also have music which scales bad :/

Advanced english
Maths????
Geo
Mod his
Ancient Hist
Music

Tofuu

HSC
do what you think you will do well in
if you get a good band 6, scalling wont affect you too much
and if you do really bad in 2u, its marks might probably be worth less than if you did great in gen math

you're still in the prelim course, give 2u a go and make a choice then

ilikebeeef

HSC
do what you think you will do well in
if you get a good band 6, scalling wont affect you too much
and if you do really bad in 2u, its marks might probably be worth less than if you did great in gen math

you're still in the prelim course, give 2u a go and make a choice then
+1.

Villa94

HSC
Im in the same boat as you. I was top in all other main subjects (English, Science, History, Geography) last year but absolutely FAILED in maths and was at the bottom of the top maths class. I just dont get it and also just hate it. So i also considered doing general instead of 2U. But then i read on this website i think that 80 in 2U is equal to 90 in General so i decided to try 2U and see if it is too hard then drop it which in my opinion is what i think you should do too.

mioumiou

HSC
Maths problems

As you may or may not be aware, Im no arithmetic person, never was, never will be.
I have chosen 2U math but am considering General but heard it scales bad what should i do and i also have music which scales bad :/

Advanced english
Maths????
Geo
Mod his
Ancient Hist
Music
Yeah, as mentioned above, do what you're good at. Sometimes, if you choose the subjects that scales really well but you didn't achieve to a limit of mark, it's useless. I would suggest you to give 2U maths a go! If you really struggled, you can drop it anytime in year 12 even a day before the HSC exams!
Hope that helps. =) And good luck with your studies!!

ilikebeeef

HSC
Yeah, as mentioned above, do what you're good at. Sometimes, if you choose the subjects that scales really well but you didn't achieve to a limit of mark, it's useless. I would suggest you to give 2U maths a go! If you really struggled, you can drop it anytime in year 12 even a day before the HSC exams!
Hope that helps. =) And good luck with your studies!!
Lol you wouldn't drop to General on the day before the HSC exam. :)

harrisony

goodbye cruel world
HSC
N/A
Maths problems

Advanced english
Maths????
Geo
Mod his
Ancient Hist
Music
Another question I guess is what do you want to do after you leave school?

kcqn93

HSC
if you study hard in prelims, you'd be surprised how easy maths can be by the time you're in year 12

kcqn93

HSC
^ he states the truth
ahaha he's like me - 4U with no science
hi5! lol

oh yeh and advice for your music thing. only do music if you REALLY REALLY enjoy doing it and are willing to put up with all aural and theory bs. i picked music i aced it in prelims, 1st place. cbf with the aural and didnt like the teacher dropped it. don't pick it just because you can play an instrument haha

ilikebeeef

HSC
oh yeh and advice for your music thing. only do music if you REALLY REALLY enjoy doing it and are willing to put up with all aural and theory bs. i picked music i aced it in prelims, 1st place. cbf with the aural and didnt like the teacher dropped it. don't pick it just because you can play an instrument haha
+1. Except I didn't do music in the first place (from prelims onwards).

3Lachlan2

HSC
Maths problems

Advanced english
Maths????
Geo
Mod his
Ancient Hist
Music
I am in the same boat as you, except I did well in the Basic Arithmetic and Algebra exam, although it was at a lower level than it should have been. I have considered dropping to general, BUT (and very importantly) i have not yet. I am going to give 2 unit a decent go, as I think i mat regret if i don't. So without knowing the exact details of your mathematical situation, i would say keep at 2 unit for the time being.

3Lachlan2

HSC
Im in the same boat as you. I was top in all other main subjects (English, Science, History, Geography) last year but absolutely FAILED in maths and was at the bottom of the top maths class. I just dont get it and also just hate it. So i also considered doing general instead of 2U. But then i read on this website i think that 80 in 2U is equal to 90 in General so i decided to try 2U and see if it is too hard then drop it which in my opinion is what i think you should do too.
I just went on an ATAR calculator for 2010, entered a HSC mark for 80 and got an scaled result of only 83...... :( HEY EVERYONE WTF IS WITH THAT??????!!!!

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Hey man, it's better than dragging your mark down by 3 points. Hell, on SAM, whenever I input my subjects (at even marks) Ancient is always cancelled because everyone does so goddamn well in it.

80 on all of my subjects scales to 82.60, but 90 on all of them scales to 95.65. (according to SAM) The better you do, the better you will do.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
I just went on an ATAR calculator for 2010, entered a HSC mark for 80 and got an scaled result of only 83...... :( HEY EVERYONE WTF IS WITH THAT??????!!!!
Wait, is the 83 the scaled result from one subject or the ATAR itself?

And you're not really enlightening us as to the context of that mark or subject. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)