Mature Aged Studies (1 Viewer)

Katsumi

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
HSC
N/A
Hey all,

Is there anyone around that has studied as a mature aged student either currently or in the past? I'm working 40 hours a week and would like to give a business undergraduate degree a proper try in 2021.

Would appreciate some insight into what universities are more accommodating than others. My main priority would be classes that start after 6pm followed by decent online lectures in the event that I can't make them.

More concerned about quality than course requirements. If any business undergrads have insight on the above it would also be appreciated.

blyatman

HSC
N/A
If you're looking at online programs, have you thought of applying for US institutions?

blyatman

HSC
N/A
Yeh I reckon it is if you can get into a good school, but it'd be more expensive though. Also I just re-read it and realised it was for undergrad (rather than grad/postgrad). Probably better to just do it here if it's UG, although I'm not too sure how many schools here (or even in the US) offer full distance-learning UG programs, since these sort of programs are typically offered for Masters programs. Could be wrong though, and there's probably a fair few around that I had no idea about.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
UTS. I did basically the entire Business portion of my combined degree as evening clases and i'm pretty sure all popular majors can be done entirely like that. The only part lacking was lecture recording, but there were more recorded classes for business than with Engineering/IT and I assume post covid they should be improving that coverage of recorded classes.

In terms of online degrees, there's a lot of cash grabs around both in Australia and in the US. Ideally, you would want to find a course/institution that has developed and delivers the online course in house (as opposed to an external provider) and with the same or mostly the same faculty as the on campus course and with a final testamur that is no different to what is offered on campus. I'd personally also look for a course that was designed with online in mind, and not just recordings of the physical lectures - post covid especially i'd be wary of institutions repackaging their rushed online material as an online course.

As blyatman said, there's very solid post grad programs online from the US but undergrad maybe not so much. There's some demand for online undergrad courses for people to meet the requirements of the online post grad programs, but they are typically not as high quality or offered by as well recognised institutions as the postgrad ones.

I haven't looked into online business/commerce courses, but I briefly researched another field for a family member and I got a good first impression of UniSA as they seemed serious about delivering a high quality online course - worth looking into.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
I know Macquarie Uni does business subjects night classes (may not be for all) and when I was doing undergraduate when I'd do night classes I'd meet lots of full time workers.

Can vouch for Macquarie's online lectures /recordings for business subjects.
Only came across one business class which wasn't recorded, but it was a third year subject, and not a compulsory commerce one merely business administration.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
One of my mate's parents did a distance (online) IT course from CSU and thought it was okay whilst working fulltime.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)