Max and Min Problem (1 Viewer)

swifty13

HSC
Hi guys if anyone could help me with this question that'd be great.

A rectangle is cut from a circular disc of radius 6cm. Find the area of the largest rectangle that can be produced.

The two formulas that I got were A = xy and x^2+y^2=144, but I had trouble differentiating

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
First of all, always draw a pretty diagram. *Pending*

Take the positive solution because we can't have a negative measurement in the HSC course.

For maximum or minimum,

Substitute that back into the equation,

Therefore maximum area is 72 cm squared. (Of course you need to test for max/min)

This is of course is a square.

With further work, you will find that the largest rectangle with maximum area inscribed in a circle is in fact a square.

Last edited:

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
If you do the question logically, the largest rectangle that can be produced is a square.

In fact, the largest n-sided polygon inscribed within a circle of any radius is the regular n-sided polygon concentric to the circle in which it was inscribed. Bonus points if you can prove this.

We are given that the radius of the circle is 6cm but we realise that this is the same as the diagonal of the square. Using Pythagoras' Theorem, we see that the length of the square is the sum of the squares of the radius. Using a bit more algebra, we find that the area of the square is 2 x 6^2 = 72 centimetres squared.

However, I presume that you want the rote-learning + 'methodical' way that the BOS tries to encourage (unfortunately). Below is a proof that the largest possible area is indeed the square.

Last edited:

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Ohh dear I miread the question... the RADIUS was 6 not the area of the circle.

Allow me to correct my answer accordingly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)