Medical Science (1 Viewer)

Abyss

hi, im really keen on doin medical science at UNSW, iv heard its a top uni, and arguably the best in australia. I want to know where medical science can take you in life, a proffession, can it lead you into medicine or is it just associated with pharmaceutical industries? Wot UAI is required to enter into a course like this at UNSW? iv heard at sydney the cut-off is 94.25, thats pretty high from my previous knowlege of medical science, it used to be like 88 and all of a sudden it rises 6 points in 2 years! i know its rising over the years because of hecs and the goverment... if anyone has any information on this, can you please tell me, thanks!!!

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
I am doing first year medical science at UNSW. Basically the difference between B MedSc and a general science degree is the same except a few subjects you take specifically in Med Sc.

Some people do B Med Sc because they want to transfer to Medicine, but you don't need to get into Med Sc, a general B Sc degree will be the same. But from what I heard, the rate of success is slightly higher to gain entry into Med.

B Med Sc is a three year degree which provide you with an understand for research. You can choose to do the 4th Optional year of honours, which is what I'm intended to do, just to further your understanding and increase your chance of getting a job. PhD after that, but not sure.

The cut off was 92.8 this year at UNSW. slightly higher at Usyd, properbly because they take in a little less people, where as UNSW take in aout 120 to 150 students. Do Med Sc or a general science degree if you want to get into the field of research in anatomy, biochemistry, genetics, physiology, microbiology...etc...the medical related stuff.

Good luck! :)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
A lot of the academics I've met (in science, nursing and other fields) have called Med Sci the "Bachelor of GAMSAT". This is because of the structure of the course (essentially first year chemistry, physics and biology - everything you need to pass the GAMSAT) and the almost universal desire for graduate medical entry of the candidature. Because of this the amount of BMedSc grads to get places in medicine is higher (since they ALL apply) and hence demand increases => higher UAI cutoff.

That aside, it's still a good degree with many career paths outside becoming a doctor. It can lead to medical research, technology development and other important fields. I'm not a MedSci person, so I can't tell you much more.

Abyss

But what Uai is required this year at UNSW? I think im in line for a 93 or 94 according to past people and the SAM

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Originally posted by Lexicographer
(since they ALL apply)
*coughs* "ALL" apply for Med? That's a big generalisation you made there. I've met many medsc people who will NOT apply for med this year or have NEVER applied for med.

Originally posted by Abyss
But what Uai is required this year at UNSW? I think im in line for a 93 or 94 according to past people and the SAM
UAI cutoffs is determined by the lowest UAI in a course. To gain entry to 2004 Med sc, the last person got accepted into Med Sc got a UAI of 92.80 (the lowest), therefore, the cut off is 92.80. For example, suppose they take in 100 students, the 100th student's UAI will be the cut off, that is, the 100th student got a UAI of 92.80. Obviously. it changes every year, but if you can get around 93 to 94, you be ok.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Both are equally difficult. After your med sc degree, you still have to go through an interview and GAMSAT. So I would say try to transfer during your bachelor degree. So if you didn't get accepted the first time, you can keep trying.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)