• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Medicare Safety Net benefits cut (1 Viewer)

leetom

there's too many of them!
HSC
Medicare safety net benefits cut:

The Federal Government has announced it will increase the threshold at which benefits are paid under its Medicare safety net to respond to a blow-out in the cost of the scheme.

Low-income earners currently receive 80 cents in the dollar for any out-of-pocket medical expenses, once they have spent $300 on bills.

The Government will increase that threshold to $500.

The threshold for other people will rise from $700 to $1,000 before the rebate will be paid.

John Howard has told Sky TV that the Government underestimated the popularity of the scheme.

"Since the election it has become apparent that the cost of it is going to be even greater than we thought at the time," he said.

"That is the reason why we believe, in the interest of maintaining it, we have to increase the safety net."

The Australian Medical Association (AMA) says it does not believe the blow-out claim.

President Dr Bill Glasson says he is disappointed by the changes.

"Prior to the election this was supposedly a well-costed, well-thought out initiative," he said.

"They told us it was sustainable and we went to the election with those figures, so you could argue were those figures rubbery?

"I don't believe those figures were rubbery, I believe that the figures that are being displayed are in fact not a blow-out."

Dr Glasson says it is premature to cut the scheme.

"I couldn't have forewarned them there would have been a spike, it's only natural there would have been a spike as these out-of-pocket expenses came on to the books, so to speak but then it would have flattened out," he said.

"So I think it's very premature to be actually making an announcement six months after the election and a few weeks before the Budget."

Opposition Leader Kim Beazley says the Government has broken an election promise and deceived the Australian public.

"This is so typical of John Howard. Say anything, do anything, promise anything to get yourself elected then after the election present the Australian public with a bill," he said.

Francis Sullivan, from Catholic Health Australia, says the changes are a cruel blow for average and low-income families, with many more set to miss out on refunds.

"It's the equivalent of a $200-a-year health tax and it also makes their chances of meeting the threshold very unrealistic," she said.

"Now on average you'll need to go to a GP 33 times before you'll make the threshold."

How embarassing for the Libs.

Interesting points:

* Radical shift in Liberal Party's election campaign promises. In the campaign, Tony Abbott decribed the $300 threshold as 'guaranteed' and 'iron clad'.

* John Howard's cautious explanation-

"Since the election it has become apparent that the cost of it is going to be even greater than we thought at the time"

* The AMA's blunt rejection of any cost blow-out and the AMA President's striking critisism of the Government-

"Prior to the election this was supposedly a well-costed, well-thought out initiative"

"I don't believe those figures were rubbery, I believe that the figures that are being displayed are in fact not a blow-out."

* The Bomber's justified critisism-

"This is so typical of John Howard. Say anything, do anything, promise anything to get yourself elected then after the election present the Australian public with a bill"

inasero

Reborn
HSC
i dot know enough about the operating figures of the program to give an opinion. However, if the government had any sense they would have thought the plan out properly. All I know is that from a medical practitioners perspective...they would want patients to come in more often, except with the proposed scheme patients wouldn't be able to come in for want of meeting the threshold except in life threatening circumstances...so yeah business interests in the guise of humanitarian concern :/

Stott Despoja

HSC
N/A
Despicable, but to be expected. However, at least we (those that listened to AM this morning) know that Mr Howard is never willing to let an opportunity to put the foot into the ALP pass, no matter whether it is warranted or not. I for one know that the Australian people deserved better than that display of partisan politics.

I can only hope that my colleagues and I (and Big Kim and his ALP factional warriors) ensure that the government is held to account, however difficult that may be.

0Jade0

HSC
All those fucking morons that believed the bullshit that came out in the run up to the election. To you I say "Fuck you".... morons...

Scanorama

HSC
Well thats our Johnny Howard and his mates from the Liberal Party. You can't expect much from them.

tattoodguy

........this is what im talking about......

so the government lied? is that proven? i dont really folllow politics that closely cos there all scum bags who dont deserve to live in this country.

but if they lie? shoudlnt they be inprisoned?

if u promise something.......and get a benefit ie a title and a salary...

u should be put in jail if you dont deliver..............adn at a minimum u should be fired.

its fucking bull shit..........we have all thse laws for the citizens..........but the government insulates its self...

it doesnt set a good example.

shady_03

Sue me....
HSC
Those cocksuking lying faggots lied to the public again. Am I surprised? NO

John Howards government are all fuked up liars who don't give 2 fukin shits about ppl (unless they earn a certain amount)

After repeated lies, the public keeps on voting for them..

FUKIN WHY????

zahid

Sheikh Mujib-ur-Rahman
HSC
shady_03 said:
After repeated lies, the public keeps on voting for them..

FUKIN WHY????
Because the public are just as stupid.

zahid

Sheikh Mujib-ur-Rahman
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Of course Zahid, the public is stupid and only very few people (of course u included!) know what's REALLY going on :)
That statment deserves a REP....However I sense a hint of sarcasm....

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
And once you have your revolution, kill off the evil ruling class, I'm sure you'll return to your university studies and give up all that power.

zahid

Sheikh Mujib-ur-Rahman
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
And once you have your revolution, kill off the evil ruling class, I'm sure you'll return to your university studies and give up all that power.
Well its not that simple NTB. A revolution requires collective power- How will I get this power? Simple I will get into state politics first, suck bob' carrs dick for a while then kick him out, and become the first ethnic Prem of NSW.

My entry into federal politics will be hard, and I know it. I will look towards the ethnic minorities for my votes which will eventually get me in to the LABOR party.

Obviously I will be the new immigration minister, ease border patrol and refugee entry to Australia then my mission will be complete.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
I care about Medicare and I'm sure alot of people do too especially those who rely upon it. Those that DO rely upon it often don't have a voice, are drowned out by the current trend of antipathy and are ignored in the spirit of 'progress'. Anything seen as not contributing significantly to selfish ideals and personal wealth are often ignored.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
zahid said:
Because the public are just as stupid.
Meanwhile in Victoria motorists are now confused and out of pocket.

"I mean, it took the Federal Government to take this long to break a promise, we thought for once it might not happen" said Terry Horat, "We used the money to saved we take our kids to see their dying grandparents, now we won't be able to eat takeaway four nights a week."

The confusion is caused in part by a broken string of promises by the state government, Terry later commenting "The Bracks government charges us for the Scoresby Freeway, isn't there some United Nations thing on this sort of stuff". Steve Bracks, the preimer for Victoria commented "The United Nations charter of politics, to which Australia is a signatory, clearly states that if a government breaks a promise it is for all intents and purposes calling shotgun on the peoples spare money. We clearly broke one first with our Scoresby Freeway promise and we want people to know that we will not let their money go to the Federal government!", an aide for John Howard commented "John Howard, clearly knows the United Nations charter, however, he claims that it is the time after an election that matters and not the physical time." John Howard has reportedly challenged Steve Bracks to a game of Scissors Paper Rock for the people's money, Steve Bracks has denied this claiming that he would much rather play tiddlywinks.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)