• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Melbourne (1 Viewer)

CurlyRuby

HSC
Sooo I'm going to melb for a couple of weeks in july, what's good to do down there?

michael1990

HSC
Its only good for 3 things:

• Shopping
  • Food and
  • Business.

milocole

Plane Nut
HSC
Triple777ER said:
If you are in Sydney and you are flying there, you will be flying on a Qants 767-300ER, have fun
or a 737/738 if you wanna go DJ or If ya really desperate "norfolk air":rofl:

milocole

Plane Nut
HSC
inasero said:
what's norfolk air? never heard of it..
They are an oz airline that services Norkolf Island, and offer 1 domestic flight on Fridays from SYD-MEL, then going elsewhere

Sometimes you can find $1 flights including taxes from SYD-MEL, but dont know if they still do that promo, plus they fly 732's, so you are in for a loud journey!!

Go DJ though

em_516

bludging..
HSC
Melbourne has a zillion really awesome cafes, so be prepared to spend a lot of money on food :D The Queen Victoria markets on Sundays are really good, but again, that's pretty much more food! Though there are nick-nack type stalls too.

There's a lot of places to go shopping but I don't know Melbourne well enough to tell you where to go, except that Collins St has a shitload of designer shops and I think Bourke St is the one with more normal shops (Myer, DJs etc.) and then if you go exploring you can find really good random shops or factory outlet stores.

Love the trams - don't drive. You can't pass a tram if it's stopped to pick up passengers so traffic is really slow.

As far as I know the nightlife is really good but I've personally only been out once haha. Had an awesome time though!

*hopeful*

HSC
theres another melb thread which has more info
but yeah shopping, entertainment and eating

whats this DJ you all are talking about ? do you mean virgin blue ?

im going in 2 weeks :D

CieL

HSC
bazookajoe said:
Crown

That is all.
Hahha i spent 3 days and nights in there. Living and breathing Crown.

Agreed with em. There's heaps of places around Crown [walkable distance] that are so different from Sydney.

There's a few alleyways loaded with tiny cafes that just stand out.
A certain David Jones has this underground section which has the maddest fashion and creative artworks everywhere.
[I can ask for the exact locations if you want, as I've forgotten by now]

I personally don't like the trams though.. They're expensive for a short ride and freaking slow. Plus it's pretty confusing to operate if you're by yourself. Like god knows how many "sections" I need to pay for to get to my destination.

However, people are friendly and cool there so you can seriously just wander around at night and just ask people where the nightlife is abouts, or even ask the hotel front desk, they'll find [google if they must] everything for you.

em_516

bludging..
HSC
CieL said:
A certain David Jones has this underground section which has the maddest fashion and creative artworks everywhere.
YES :D Although I'm pretty sure it was part of Myer? I dunno but that place is HUGE, loved it. Not 100% sure anymore but I think it was on or very close to Bourke St.

And I think the price of the trams is worth it if you actually use them. Like if you buy a weekly ticket or something you save money on buying a ticket every day (and it's more convenient) and yeh, then you can get on and off trams all day every day and it probably works out cheaper than being in a taxi/car (also cars have to give way to the trams when they stop so it'd be stupid slow being in a car anyway I think). I dunno, I found them fun haha.

rozymisty

HSC
The Queen Vic markets are open Thurs arvo i think to sunday....just check the webiste....great market, and go to the top of hte markets and there is a spanish donut stall and they are so nice,...very long stringy donut for only $1!!

rozymisty

HSC
oo yes hehe the lady thougt i was from ireland, coz i asked for the beetroot dip and yeah...but no im not from Ireland lol. .but my pop was.

Take plenty of winter gear but also some shirts and shorts...coz it can change so much.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)