Minoan - Officials and Nobles (1 Viewer)

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
We had a question on our trial paper for 10 marks on the roles of officials in Minoan society on Crete - however, no one seemed to really have enough to say about this - and even our teacher, when i asked her about it later, couldn't come up with enough points to get 10 marks.
so, just briefly, what points would people include in a question on this? (just points please guys, i dont want to feel like im scabbing anyone's work - i just don't know what sort of areas to talk about)

monaro-man

Ramen Raider
HSC
Well, think of the all the stuff that has to be done to keep the Minoan society running. For example, the vast trade networks and manufacturing industries would have required officials to regulate the quality/quantity of stock. You could also refer to religion and the fact that there was a class of religious leaders among the Minoans. Another area where officials/nobles would have been employed is in diplomacy. It is is known that the Minoans had relations with other nearby nations and it was probably necessary to have ambassadors and stuff.

That's all I have now, haven't started studying yet. :worried:

jimmik

HSC
bit of a toughie that question isn't it. what about mentioning industrial towns such as gournia, where living quarters for government officials (presumably) were found. it could suggest an administrative role? it's an extension of what monaro-man said about trade networks and manufacturing industries...hmm..i should start studying for ancient too..

Paroissien

HSC
They could never hit us with a question with that in the HSC, too vague.

angelduck

Behind a rock with a glitter gun poised and ready
HSC
true, its usually somethin bout Knossos or religion (includin death/burials last yr)

Go the Knossos questions!!!

Yeah, this question really sucked, spec wen she gave me 4/10 for it, then later said it was worth 7! Stupoid harpy!!!

In asked some otha ppl, they said to describe the social order (like we ddid) and also to talk about the theories on kings - coz Brennan says that there wasnt a king, but Minoan society was run by officials. Also to mention that they all worked at Knossos - it was administration centre.

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
ducky: at least she marked yours - she just totally skipped it on my paper then marked it out in the corridor when everyone was going to their rooms whilst she was talking to another teacher...*sigh* but never again!

thanx everybody!

tina_goes_doo

Pharmer in Training
HSC
hehe...poor guys. Yeah that question threw me off. Esp when i forgot what the hell that source was and where it was from. I think i put down administration of the palaces, religious officials (expanded on this a bit too much), "kings" and court officials (just one sentence on it :) ) I ended up getting 7 for it with 3/4 of a page.

Points harpy said for it:
- Source was from the Agia Triada Sarcophogus (which i doubt, thought it was from a cup or something)
- rulers(?) eg Minos
- court and palace officials
- Prince of Lillies Fresco (wasn't that a load of messed up bull anyway?)
- Queen's Megaron (which was a stupid name for a room which probably had nothing to do with a "queen")
- power of priests - trade?
- chief official houses near palace -> power

Overall her points suck. Here's hoping they never ask this question because it's stupid. Agree that a question on Knossos would be nice. I have narrowed down the questions to any one of the following:

- Social structure
- Knossos
- Trade and Economy
- Buildings (bah!)
- Religion

....and possibly some others.

P*O*R*T*I*A

HSC
You could also talk about the master impression and the chieftans cup which depict men who seem to be of importance... so you could discuss the possibility of them being officials.

tina_goes_doo

Pharmer in Training
HSC
I thought that was Linear A tablets where they found in Agia Triada. They were marked with the palace seal and it is believed they might be rations lists from the palaces.

jimmik

HSC
Linear B also has records of produce too, except Linear B is meant to be Mycenaean texts, as in they were written during the Mycenaean occupation of Crete

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)