Minoan past questions (1 Viewer)

kyliej

rOcKiN PuMpKiN
HSC
N/A
Hey. Ive been doing past questions on the Minoans for study and im stuck on three of the questions. Can anyone help me with them? They are:

* Assess the contribution of early archaeologists to our knowledge of Minoan society (25 Marks)

* What leisure activities took place in Minoan palaces? (5 Marks)

* What does art reveal about Minoan society? (5 Marks)

Thanks, Kye.

Paroissien

HSC
kyliej said:
* Assess the contribution of early archaeologists to our knowledge of Minoan society (25 Marks)
This is the question I had in my trial (and burial practises but I knew nothing about that) and I really did struggle with it. The only archaeologists I knew of were Sir Arthur Evans and Harriet Boyd-Hawes. I managed to string together a brief paragraph on Boyd-Hawes, then struggle on for another few pages about Evans. My main line of argument was that without them we wouldn't have the picture of Minoan society that we do today, and then I just assessed what they did right, and what they did wrong as I was really struggling for something to write.
Now that I think about it, that isn't much help at all.... Interesting

angelduck

Behind a rock with a glitter gun poised and ready
HSC
Going on from what he said, (i hope this sounds good, i dont have to do the essay - thank god!) Evans - his pet theories, "flower power", and how this led to opinion of them being peaceful (absense of fortifications - this is an area of debate) as opposed to THucydides view of Minoans being a thalasocrassy

Art - basically we have no written evidence, so this stuff is all we have that tells us about their daily lives, what/who was important etc.

jimmik

HSC
when u talk abt art, talk abt the different types of frescoes they had - buon fresco and fresco secco. then giv examples such as the ladies in blue or fisherman fresco. the frescoes basically show us how the minoans lived...all i can think of for now

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
the art question, i agree with angelduck - but remember its not just frescoes; the syllabus directs you to talk about frescoes, statues, pottery, seals, jewellery etc. nas to the first question, the 25mark one - wouldnt that be from the old hsc? coz dont we only have to do short answer questions on minoans? ie. the most it could be worth would be 10 mks? or is minoans an option in sectionIV?

Paroissien

HSC
Yeah, if you study two ancient societies (which I do) you have to do an essay response on one of them. If you don't do two ancient societies, you don't have to worry about it

Paroissien

HSC
That's what I would've liked to have done. I hate having to do an essay on one of the ancient societies, but I suppose it's no you whinging now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)