Minoans - ruler (1 Viewer)

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
Hi i did a quick search but couldnt find what i was after,
Does anyone know the role of the minoan ruler? ( I have heaps of info. on the question of whether the ruler was male/female) But i would like to know what the rulers reponsibilities etc were. I am asumming that the role is religious in nature? and also that it isnt clearly defined because of a lack of evidence?
anyway any information or assitance would be very helpful, thanks!

Aimz- Lou.

We got taught that they are unsure as to whether there even was a ruler.... But if there was, they think they probably lived in the palace, probably at Knossos, and were thus in charge of religion and of the administartion of possessions and trade, because the palace had defined sections devoted to each of these.
Hope that helps a little.

duckofdoom

Ellie-Jelly
HSC
Don't worry about it.

Same as aimee. historians are really unsure if the royal minoan actually had any authority over the civilisation at all. They think the ruler worked in league with the priestesses and the other cult/religious leaders and that perhaps the ruler was infact a priest/ess as well.

But with all the confusion laying around about it - just pick the one you think looks right.

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
*dredges up shaky minoan memories*
ok, from what i remember, historians are unsure about whether there even was a ruler. most seem to think that if there was it was a priest/ess, though others have sugested an oligarchy or even some form of the feudal system. anyways, apart from the ton of evidence for religious duties, the ruler obviously also had administration duties (evidence is the clay tablets that they think are some form of tax records), responsible for provisions in times of crop failure etc (storage areas and pithoi jars in western(?) magazine area), entertaining dignitaries or public forums (the halls with pillars near grand staircases in Knossos with road from outside leading directing there via antechamber/possible waiting room) and managing trade/industry (all the workshops in palace wings). anyways, theres some ideas.

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
thanks heaps .. all the info was useful .. didnt get asked that question in trial .. but hey, i'll be prepared for th ehsc :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)