"Misconceptions about aboriginal beliefs" (1 Viewer)

~TeLEpAtHeTiC~

Aesthetically Challenged
HSC
Originally posted by Rahul
lol the macquarie guide...one nice piece of paper that!! :p
came very handy for me :D
lol three cheers for maquarie giude
horaay
horaay
horaay

i'm done
*slowly shuffles away

lbft

Geek
HSC
Excel Revise SOR1 in a month had this to say about it:

Misconception A. The idea of term terra nullius, or 'land belonging to no one', was a belief promoted by the British Government. The British Government made three decrees of sovereignty, in 1788, 1824 and 1829. These enabled settlers to use land with no thought of the consequences for the Aboriginal people and without making any payment in return for the land.

Misconception B. The European settlers with their settled lifestyles could not understand nomadic culture. It seemed to them that the Aboriginal people had no religion and so were not civilised. In the eyes of the Europeans all religions had sacred buildings and a professional 'priesthood'. These were not evident in Aboriginal culture.

Misconception C. The Aboriginal people had no sacred books, such as there were in other religions the settlers were used to, but they did have oral stories. These stories related to each community and were told on many different levels. Many of these stories were told as a part of ritual. Aboriginal people believed that the ancestral beings left songs, dances and symbols to ensure the continuous existence of the tribe.

And no, I'm not so sad as to type that out. I'm sadder because I OCR'ed it from a scan I already had of it.

asl2

terranullius is the biggest misconception that occured; i mainly talked about this one

Leon585

HSC
they were nomadic and stuff, and didnt have a bible that was i think the crux of the question(atleast it was for me):D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)