moderation help (3 Viewers)

mat

sorry people
i know that the highest ranked student in a particular subject will receive the highest moderated assesment mark depending on the externals
eg: a student who comes 1st in history will have the highest exam result as his moderated mark. can someone plz tell me if i am ranked 8/8 in a subject with 60,and get 95 in my external exam wat will my moderated mark become

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
your moderated assessment mark will be the 8th highest.

your external will always remain the same

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
if you are saying you got 60 as your assessment and 95 as your external then your HSC mark will be the average of the two

sexy grl

i would say that your moderated asses will increase after the scaling process

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
unless 95/100 is the 8/8 mark for the subject then he won't get 95 as his moderated

sexy grl

but ragerunner my teacher said u could come last in assesments but come first in your exam and end up with a higher moderated mark than others

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
nope

if you come last you already know you get the lowest exam mark as your assessment mark. If you got 95 as your exam mark and that was the highest mark then the guy who came 1/8 gets 95 as his assessment mark. You get the lowest

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Just a note, if u are ranked say, 6th, u dont necessarily get the 6th highest exam mark as ur moderated assessment mark...mod assessment marks are distributed thru relative differences between school assessment marks, and these marks are determined by the HSC marks ur cohort recieves.. where the mean of the exam marks is set as the mean of the moderated assessment marks

maniacguy

Let's bring in some definitions here:

Final (HSC) mark = Moderated (assessment) mark + Exam mark

Now, if you came 8/8 with an assessment mark of 60, and got an exam mark of 95, it's not possible to tell you just from that what your moderated mark will be - that depends on how other students went.

If you rank students based purely on moderated mark, you will still be 8/8, but your exam mark of 95 will probably be good enough to mean that based on final marks you're ranked above 8/8.

'sexy grl' your teacher was most likely referring to the final (HSC) mark rather than the moderated assessment mark when he said that, because your rank based on moderated assessment marks will not be changed by your exam mark.

enak

Limbo
HSC
N/A
Lets get a scenario
person a/b/c/d/e/f
internal marks
90/80/70/40/30/20
external marks (hsc exam)
80/90/30/70/50/40

What would be the resultant rank/mark for each person?

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
theres an example in my post in the sticky

it has a table and example. taken directly from the board of studies

~Dreamer

HSC
this whole ranking buisness is outdated and bullshit, why cant they assess u on ur raw marks and if necessary, ur internal marks - with out the added inclusion of ranking???

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
BECAUSE

how would u like it if you go to a top school which give considerably hard tests.

then another guy not so smart who goes to a bad school who does easy exams.

if you count the marks accumulated at school its unfair because exams vary in difficulty.

im sure you would like it if you worked your ass off and got a 60/100 and ranked 1st

while another guy got 85/100 and ranked 30th

and if ranks werent taken into account you'd be pretty pissed

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Just to clarify - the BOS never alters the rank order of students.

~Dreamer

HSC
rage - there are school who have a higher profile or whatsoever, yet their emxams are similiar or the same as another school not as distinguished, bottom line, they all have to follow syllabus requirments..and ALL should assess the same as they would hsc -

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)