• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

modern history is hard (1 Viewer)

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
Well obviously, with that attitude. What are you doing & what are you having problems with?

superfly

Yeah history isnt that hard. Its like one of those subjects that if you just write a basic timeline then you get like 60% of the marks. Its the historiography that gets me.

Leanne

HSC
i cant believe all you guys are so calm bout it.......we get taught nuffin in mh....our teacher expects us to go away and learn everything ourselves so we can come back and 'discuss' it in class.....ha, its more like...'i'll yell at u for knowing nothing and those who know one answer i will praise and praise like there is no tommorrow!'

dying4december

hehe, yeeeaaap it is prety hard but i actaully like modern ay
ah well, my trials tomorrow and no-one wants to help me!! im getting dogged! i just needed quotes, but i got them now anyway, thankyou internet!

Alexander

Gold Member
Absofriggenloootly!!!!
We do next to no work! we discuss crap and trail off into the most irrelevant......AAAHHHHhhh!!! worst teacher, subject, school, markers EVER.

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
Hmmmm, I spose I was so calm before the exam because I have an excellent teacher who goes through every point and makes sure we know it.

Don't get me started on my little fiasco with the trial exam though.

Leanne

HSC
hey guys!

I got my modern history trial results back yesterday..and woah! for my worst subject...72% wasnt bad at all! And for indochina...which i thought i totally screwed over i got 25/30- how crazy!!! Found out my rank was 9th out of 60 i think.....74% overall.......i really hope it gets scaled up...a history teacher told me i'd get into the 80's easy...for my worst subject! lol

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
See, just keep working on it until the HSC and you will do fine!! Things are not usually as bad as they seem! :) Well done!

enter~space~cap

{Enter-Space-Capsule}
modern history isnt that hard, im doing great in yr11 modern at the moment...........what topics are u guys doing.................anyone got notes for the Cuban Revolution, i'll exchange em with reign of terror or romanov

spark

Modern essays are not very hard. Think of it this way - you are telling a good historical story with facts and information. Essays can be padded out with the most mundane and trivial facts to relevant and essential information. They are not looking for a poetic masterpiece - just a narrative that you can link back to the question.

Nick

foregone conclusion
HSC
N/A
no way.. thats if u want like band 4.. to do well u need to analyse information and use historians, prioritise and link events and concepts etc.. never ever would u just tell the story.. except in part 1 of personality questions

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Narrative answers are SLAUGHTERED by markers. They don't care how happy Bismarck was, they want to know WHY he was happy. You need to explain historical events and back up your explanations with evidence. You need to give a magnitude to the IMPORTANCE of these events and prove your assessment with comparison and reason.

Telling a story is for English :p

emily

i second the loving history thing :)

it's great! (and strangely i'm not being sarcastic...)

yr 11 was boring, but the cold war's really interesting,

and the historians aren't that bad, my teacher marks and said that name dropping works anyway - if you think that your general idea could be supported by someone elses general idea then say so!

speer is so easy, hope they don't do something tricky with the questions this yr, they had better just pull out the same "describe important events" and "was he an apolitical technocrat?" shit

mmmm, but i have to go and get back to brave new world...

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
I preferred WWI & Germany to the Cold War, I find it more interesting and when I find something interesting, it's definitely easier to learn.

spark

Hey, it works for me. Going to a good selective school and getting band 6 marks. Hoorah. But yeah.. I did not mean to JUST TELL A STORY - you obviously need to link everything back into the question.. and your info has to be of top notch quality. But you can still pad it out =P

Andronicus

I'd have to agree that the narrative is the worst path to go down.

Last time I wrote just narrative was at the beginning of year 10, and my teacher made such an issue about it, shouting about how much he hated narrative, that I changed my style. I've been 1st, 2nd or 3rd ever since in all essay subjects (Ancient, Modern, English 2u, 3u and 4u, and Extension History)...

My point - break your essay up into themes - if you have an essay on Stalin post-rise to power, then you would go:

- Power struggle
- Collectivisation
- Industrialisation
- Totalitarianism (integrating into the others if possible)
- Purges
- 'Great Patriotic War'

And you need quotes from historians, and even Stalin himself if possible - it's not WHAT he did, but WHY nad WHAT EFFECT this had. It's pretty simple really.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)