Modern rock is pathetic, we rule - Kiss (2 Viewers)

Are they right?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
The band, celebrating its 35th year, is playing after the F1 Grand Prix in Melbourne on Sunday night and is promising value for money.

"Good economy or no economy, we have no intentions of stopping," said frontman Paul Stanley.

"We gave up doing this for money a long time ago, we love it, but we still get paid."

Like the good businessman that he is, Kiss co-founding member Gene Simmons had a shot at the opposition while promising a full-on ear-blasting concert, none of this coming out and strumming a guitar and calling it a show.

"Rock and roll is in a pathetic state," he drawled.

"Bands think they can can get up on stage and strum their guitars and then download it - it's useless and pathetic.
Related Links

"We're sick and tired of seeing bands getting up on stage and not giving value for your buck."

Stanley and Simmons, who were by guitarist Tommy Thayer and drummer Eric Singer, said they have been living out their dreams for the past 35 years.

"We not only want to live up to the legend (of Kiss) but we want to exceed it, and that's why we are here," Stanley said.

But does Kiss ever get worried that they will lose touch with their audience, with influences like rap and rave music at the forefront of the Y generation.

"Kiss music is universal, ageless - we always find a new audience," said Stanley.

"What we sing about is celebrating life, about enjoying yourself.

"We don't need to to look for an audience - the audience finds us."

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/story/0,26278,23362169-7484,00.html

Vote vote, poll is not set to public :)

magickmidget

HSC
N/A
Right or wrong, Simmons makes me want to ... punch him. To say the least. I despise that man.

s-p-a-c-e-d

HSC
lol kiss, people still take gene seriously?

well, i don't really think anyone does, thank god. i hope...

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
If he's referring to the likes of "rock" (note inverted commas) bands along the lines of Fallout Boy, then yes: he's spot on.

But there are still some real bands that are true to the genre: playing rock music for the sake of rock music.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Bit rich coming from Kiss.

But they do have a point. It feels like classic music has been and gone. For good music our kids will turn to Led Zeppelin, just like we did, because there is nothing even remotely of that calibre today.

What does our generation have to give to music?

Edit: I guess when I say "classic" I mean lasting.

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
yes, thank god for shit like velvet fucking revolver for keeping it all real, all too real

:rolleyes:

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
runtlocks said:
yes, thank god for shit like velvet fucking revolver for keeping it all real, all too real

:rolleyes:
I like em. I like em lots. Admittedly not as much as their parent bands but still infinitely more than the vast majority of music out there.

Guess what else? I liked ST ANGER!

I PREFER AUDIOSLAVE TO RATM.

FUCK YOU ALL!

neafoo

HSC
scarybunny said:
I like em. I like em lots. Admittedly not as much as their parent bands but still infinitely more than the vast majority of music out there.

Guess what else? I liked ST ANGER!

I PREFER AUDIOSLAVE TO RATM.

FUCK YOU ALL!
.... impossible D:
(I wonder what their new album will be like ;D?)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
scarybunny said:
But they do have a point. It feels like classic music has been and gone. For good music our kids will turn to Led Zeppelin, just like we did, because there is nothing even remotely of that calibre today.
Doubt it.

We'll see in 40 years time what actually still cranks up.

Personally, I'll still be listening to my Offspring records

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
ObjectsInSpace said:
If he's referring to the likes of "rock" (note inverted commas) bands along the lines of Fallout Boy, then yes: he's spot on.

But there are still some real bands that are true to the genre: playing rock music for the sake of rock music.

Fall out boy is pussy pop rock music :)

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Heh my post made its point. Some peoples' music tastes are impossible to understand.

The thing is that lots of people like modern rock, however we define it. I don't know whether or not this is enough to give it real staying power, though. It seems to be targeted at spoiled teenagers of the digital age, and it's not something everyone can get behind and believe in. These teenagers will not stay teenagers, they'll grow up and grow out of their hormonal depression.

Can anyone think of a song to come out of the last 5 years that they think will last 30?

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Russdog said:
It's got to do with a general preference for singing. RATM's a bit angry for me, and while I like angry music in the gym, it's not repetitive enough to jog to.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
scarybunny said:
Heh my post made its point. Some peoples' music tastes are impossible to understand.

The thing is that lots of people like modern rock, however we define it. I don't know whether or not this is enough to give it real staying power, though. It seems to be targeted at spoiled teenagers of the digital age, and it's not something everyone can get behind and believe in. These teenagers will not stay teenagers, they'll grow up and grow out of their hormonal depression.

Can anyone think of a song to come out of the last 5 years that they think will last 30?
Alex floyd- amazing

maybe a white stripes song.

It's got to do with a general preference for singing. RATM's a bit angry for me, and while I like angry music in the gym, it's not repetitive enough to jog to.
There are some things in this world worth getting angry about. Surely the gym isnt the only place you listen to music?

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Serius said:
Alex floyd- amazing

maybe a white stripes song.

There are some things in this world worth getting angry about. Surely the gym isnt the only place you listen to music?
Maybe if I said "I prefer Soundgarden to RATM" it would be more understandable? Sometimes, if I'm angry, I'll take the old RATM for a spin, but on a day to day basis, Chris Cornell-based bands get more playtime.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)