Module C: representation and text - History and Memory (1 Viewer)

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
i don't mean to say your answer is wrong because it's not.. but I'm just thinking how your last sentence would relate in my selected text for mod C, keeping in mind there's like 4 prescribeds. I'm doing Fiftieth Gate and a documentary by an independent filmmaker journalist person, I kind of don't really see how that would fit in necessarily as an argument as they both act like historians in compiling their texts
This in itself sort of answers your question. History is actually dynamic in that while you get the idea that certain events and personalities existed, how they are perceived will naturally be different depending on who it is recording it, and in some cases they might be manipulating their record without even realising because the information they have access to might be limited or they might simply be personally biased towards something. It's something reflected in documentaries as well. So for example, the Nanjing massacre of 1937 was one of the most atrocious rape and massacre in history, but in Japanese history, it was unrecorded (in that what was recorded was that nothing happened) and it wasn't until recently when the Japanese PM admitted to its occurrence. Another example (which is probably a little contentious) would be the 9/11 terrorist attacks. It will always go down as a tragedy (understatement) in history, however, for religious extremist groups like the Al-Qaeda it would probably go down as a glorious day in which their 'soldiers' all went to Allah.

I haven't studied Fiftieth Gate so I can't give direct examples from your text, but try and consider why people would want to record history in a specific way. The reason would mainly be linked to what the author wants their audience to believe or experience when reflecting on history, so just have a look at your composers' motivations.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)