• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

monomer help (1 Viewer)

dawma88

Dance jew dance!!!
HSC
N/A
hey, imm stuck on evry monomer question, for example ''draw the monomer that forms each of the folowin addition/condensation polymers"

i know i havent given any pics, but could any one atleast give me some pointers to deal with these types of questions!!!!!

thanx alot...........(nerdz)

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
Not a good idea to call somebody you want help from a nerd.

Anyway, a monomer is a single unit of a polymer. A polymer is a bunch of monomer units connected.

So, if you had ethene: CH<sub>2</sub>=CH<sub>2</sub>, the polymer it would form is
-[CH<sub>2</sub>-CH<sub>2</sub>]-<sub>n</sub>
Where n is the amount of monomer units making the polymer.

The double bond has been broken because this is addition polyermisation - instead of adding 2 more carbon and breaking the double bond we have added to more 'ethene' with their own single bonds. This polymer is called poly-ethene.

Here is a picture of three monomer units together:
- CH<sub>2</sub>-CH<sub>2</sub> - CH<sub>2</sub>-CH<sub>2</sub> - CH<sub>2</sub>-CH<sub>2</sub> -

This is a section of polymer chain of length 3. Obviously it would never exist by itself - polymers have hundreds to thousands of units.

The monomer itself though in this case is CH<sub>2</sub>=CH<sub>2</sub> because since we are seperating the monomer we must account for the bonding.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)