• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

More ancient movies (1 Viewer)

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
Well it seems with the success of Troy Hollywood has decided to create a few more ancient movies.
Their bringing out Alexander the Great in November and they've began work on one called 300 Spartans, which I assume is about Thermopalyae (I do believe I spelt it wrong).

What do you think, are they going overboard?

Lundy

Banned
HSC
Are they calling it 300 Spartans? there is an older movie about it already called that. I suppose they figure Thermopylae is too difficult for people to pronounce :p
There are two Alexander movies. I'm pretty sure they're also making a movie about Cyrus the Great.

I don't think it's overboard. I think these events and personalities are fascinating. Granted, they'll probably hollywoodise it all, but oh well.

Last edited:

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
Good point, they Hollywoodised Troy far too much. They made some mistakes and mis cast some characters. And they oveplayed Achilles too much.

And 300 Spartans is coming out after the HSC, so no excursion...but are you year 11 *girl04*?

Lundy

Banned
HSC
Typical that all these movies come out after I've finished ancient.

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
haha ... most of the time you will find though there is some ancient movies out .. how publicied they are is another thing ... and again how accurate

coz i know a couple of years ago for anicent our school went to see the mummy.

Lundy

Banned
HSC
The Mummy movies and Gladiator came out before I started year 11. So no, there wasn't anything out while I was doing ancient.

ay_caramba

Crazily Sane.
HSC
i saw the trailer for Alexander and it looks amazing :D
comin out in nov, can see it after the hsc (if im alive by then hehe)

nah i dont think theyre going overboard, (even tho most movies have historical *ahem* inaccuracies) i think ancient history is fascinating, and i love to see it represented visually... ok i sound like a dork now
*hides* :(

cayte

Of course it looks amazing, it'll be more blockbuster tripe by another money-grubbing hollywood studio only out to make a buck and with a complete disregard for the number of historical misconceptions they perpetuate in the process.
Originally posted by Enlightened_One
And they oveplayed Achilles too much.
The damn film should have been called something like "Achilles and What Might Have Happened If History Played to a Convenient Hollywood Blockbuster Script". Not quite as catchy as "Troy" granted, but more accurate no?

ay_caramba

Crazily Sane.
HSC
Originally posted by cayte
Of course it looks amazing, it'll be more blockbuster tripe by another money-grubbing hollywood studio only out to make a buck and with a complete disregard for the number of historical misconceptions they perpetuate in the process.

The damn film should have been called something like "Achilles and What Might Have Happened If History Played to a Convenient Hollywood Blockbuster Script". Not quite as catchy as "Troy" granted, but more accurate no?
lighten up, friend :)
its just a movie

ay_caramba

Crazily Sane.
HSC
Originally posted by angelduck
Thery are made for entertainment - not for historical purposes, thats why they're inaccurate, cos they wanna make money. (dont get me started, my extension essay is on this...)
hey thats a cool thing to do an essay on :)
u get to watch, ahem *study* heaps of movies?? :cool:

Zhang San Feng

护花使者
HSC
Originally posted by *girl04*
i say good ... more excursions ... hehe and more hsitorical debates
u ppl get excursions to see historical movies?...lucky...we didnt even get a school excursion to see passion of christ for extension

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
^^^ yeah we always go on excrusions for anicent! this year we get to go to troy, the maritime museum ( for acheology) and some other places

winicat

HSC
that movie was just way too long! (refering to troy) --> just thought i'd invade a subject i don't do :) still maintain people should put warning labels on the length of some movies!!!

charmed_cuties

Bubblegum girl
HSC
2 b honest, Troy wasn't really that good, coz it doesn't really go according to the myth and also the basis of the Iliad, there was 2 much focus on Brad Pitt's character, and the war was 10years and Hollywood produced a 2 weeks or couple of months war that didn't seem to weave in the historical/mythical basis of it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)