• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

movies vs books (1 Viewer)

selablad

HSC
Books, because illiterate fools don't deserve to know the story...

Haha, I'm not that harsh. But it annoys me when people start talking about the story and think that they're so awesome because they've seen the movie, but they can't be bothered putting the effort into reading the book.

Oh wait, that's for movie versions of books already written. But it still kind of applies to a lot of original movies anyway, because anyone can go see a movie, but it takes a special person to immerse themselves in a book :)

And I'm sorry if I sound horribly elitist...

Jess007

HSC
books, i love letting my own mind come up with what each character looks like, what the scenes look like. forme, thats the best thing abotu reading a book actually...

Trajan

HSC
Jess007 said:
books, i love letting my own mind come up with what each character looks like, what the scenes look like. forme, thats the best thing abotu reading a book actually...

+1

hollyy.

stop looking at me swan.
HSC
selablad said:
Books, because illiterate fools don't deserve to know the story...

Haha, I'm not that harsh. But it annoys me when people start talking about the story and think that they're so awesome because they've seen the movie, but they can't be bothered putting the effort into reading the book.

Oh wait, that's for movie versions of books already written. But it still kind of applies to a lot of original movies anyway, because anyone can go see a movie, but it takes a special person to immerse themselves in a book :)

And I'm sorry if I sound horribly elitist...
haha "illiterate fools dont deserve to know the story"

yay 4 books:uhhuh:

em_516

bludging..
HSC
I would normally says books, but my mum has just leant me her copy of 'PS. I love you' and I haven't read it yet, but I saw the movie a while ago (didn't realise there was a book :eek:) and I thought it was a really great story! So, it'll be interesting to see what I think of the book.

Not a movie, but there's this tv show not on free-to-air yet called 'Dexter' and I LOVED it and knew it was based on a book and I saw it in Borders the other day and had a flip through and it actually looked like a pretty pathetic book. I mean obviously it's a clever concept and everything but I definitely wasn't a fan of the written style :S

It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC
em_516 said:
Not a movie, but there's this tv show not on free-to-air yet called 'Dexter' and I LOVED it and knew it was based on a book and I saw it in Borders the other day and had a flip through and it actually looked like a pretty pathetic book. I mean obviously it's a clever concept and everything but I definitely wasn't a fan of the written style :S
<3

i appreciate both for their ability to tell stories in different ways. Often i'll find myself reading a novel and thinking "this'd make a really great film". I can totally imagine them on screen. But then, there's other books i'd hate to see adapted because it modifies the freedom of my imagination, changing the pictures i had in my head into often dissatisfying impersonations.

In short, movie adaptations of books can be great, but only if the book lends itself to such and if the makers of the film can pull it off.

selablad

HSC
The_highwayman said:
In short, movie adaptations of books can be great, but only if the book lends itself to such and if the makers of the film can pull it off.
qft

Justina

HSC
i agree with you 100%
Books entertain you for several days while movies provide entertainment for only two hours or so.

walrusbear

HSC
generally
generic or 'b' level literature works well on film. ala godfather, maltese falcon (etc good CF)
literature that is genuinely good is unfilmable, and middlebrow literature is made into middlebrow film (atonement)

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
books because you can learn new words from them, mimic writing styles and it sends you off into your own imagination :eek:

bawd

HSC
Sonata said:
movies, eyes get tired if i read to much
Yes, and burning pixels into your retina is much better than reading. :)

Books > Movies > Movies adapted from books IMO

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)