Much demand for Secondary Music Teachers? (2 Viewers)

erock

HSC
I'm about to start a Music degree @ southern cross uni and I wanting to know peoples opinons about Music teaching as a career. Is there much demand for Music teachers for schools etc? Like Secondary teaching... Im still way unsure if i even should be doing music at university (because its not a huge job oppourtinity area) Is there anyone that has done music degrees here that can give me some experiences or pointers...?

Im into computer stuff as well, so perhaps i could aways further that educationally. But anyways yeh opinons.

moon_styla

[16527th BoS member]
HSC
depends wat part of music ur wanting to teach.. like, teaching an instrument at a secondary school? or theory? or a choir dude? lol

coz i know that at my school, and all the schools around mine, needed more staff teaching composing and historical things in music.. not necessarily theory THEORY... but like just general information.. hrmmm hard to say here...

:S

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
dude, becoming a music teacher is the most safest musical career option - doin a music ed course almost guarantees u a job. Theres a shortage of secondary schools music teachers right now... and many of the teachers who teach now are like in their 40s and 50s and theyre old and theyll retire anytime soon so we need heaps of young music teachers to take over.

starbaaa

Untalkative Member
HSC
well, you'll find that most country schools are dying for just about any kind of teacher... i havent had a quality music teacher in years.

aimstar555

HSC
trumpet geek said:
dude, becoming a music teacher is the most safest musical career option - doin a music ed course almost guarantees u a job. Theres a shortage of secondary schools music teachers right now... and many of the teachers who teach now are like in their 40s and 50s and theyre old and theyll retire anytime soon so we need heaps of young music teachers to take over.
YAY!!! i'm doin music ed @ unsw, and teaching is exactly wat i want to do :)

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
aimstar555 said:
YAY!!! i'm doin music ed @ unsw, and teaching is exactly wat i want to do :)

nice!!!! so is my friend steve - u have to look out for him, hes a nice bloke! Hes a percussionist... what do u play????

Bunny04

VIVE LA FRANCE
Well for starters, Australia, NSW, Sydney- and fin
HSC
Yup, High demand for High School music teachers, they are getting people without Bmus Ed to do music teaching in high schools, (and technically you are not allowed to teach unless you have Bmus Ed, even if you have your Bmus in perf.)

pristine

HSC
to do music ed at UNSW,, do you still need a grade 6 theory?
cos i've finished piano.. as in im doing diploma now, but have no started theory.

dannyboy_588

HSC
mmm...

back to the topic...

apparently the everage teching time for a music teacher is 4 months...

they tend to find it too hard and quit...

which is why there is a high demand...

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
pristine said:
to do music ed at UNSW,, do you still need a grade 6 theory?
cos i've finished piano.. as in im doing diploma now, but have no started theory.
um... the theory test for unsw was waaaayyy easier than the one at the con!!! I almost started crying after i did the aural test at the con.... BUt yeah the unsw stuff was quite straight forward id say it was around grade 3-4 or sumthing... but thats just to divide you up into different classes i think, not as a part of the audition. But yeah they said that they expect 7th grade ameb for ur instrument so u should be fine

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
The Conservatorium entrance test is representative of the skills expected of a student beginning a course there - there is a lot of assumed knowledge in both Harmony and Analysis and Aural Perception, which all students are required to complete.

moon_styla

[16527th BoS member]
HSC
demosthenes said:
any way to get my hands on a sample theory/aural test from the con?
probaby? but why would u bother.. its not that hard hehe

Bunny04

VIVE LA FRANCE
Well for starters, Australia, NSW, Sydney- and fin
HSC
Yeah most likley, or you could just try some of the 6th Grade Musicianship Theory and Aural papers, they would prepare you for the Con test, most of it is ok... but some i found quite hard.... and you can get the AMEB Musicianship Exam papers from the AMEB centre in the city ^^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)