• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

multimedia (1 Viewer)

m1nx

HSC
hi, i was just wondering if anyone has used/is using multimedia as their medium for their project? and if so, how are you going about writing about your chosen topic in terms of structure? [that is, it's not really a story, or an essay, or a critical response or whatnot ....]

:confused:

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
well, a multimedia text obviously has various different facets (hence multi-media!). how do these combine to create a different text to one which is just a script, or a silent movie, ...?

why have you chosen to use multimedia rather than another text type?

umm... ask yourself various questions like that.

m1nx

HSC
well, i'm making a website for multimedia and i'm finding it hard to start writing pieces for it because of its fragmented nature. (which, ironically/frustratingly enough is - among other reasons - exactly why i chose it! :rolleyes: )

thanks for the help though

Alethia

hitting dead ends
HSC
What do you mean? that you find it hard writing peices for it. Are you doing a choose your own adventure thingy?
I created a factual site on fairytale psychology and just placed information under headings, ignoring repetition when information overlapped topics. Or, if repetition occured, I just linked the information "for more click here" type of stuff.
If you are doing a factual site, try storyboarding your site using headings so that you can seen how the information you are using overlapped. I ended up using index cards so that I knew when I had reached the limit of 40 slides.
Hope this helps!

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Well, it's important to mention that the nature of websites promotes hyperlinking, a technique which is impossible in a linearly progressive novel, for example. If you haven't used hyperlinks, why not? What differentiates YOUR medium from others?

The idea of a fragmented website is important because it shows two intrinsic elements of the WWW: that a website is never 'complete' and that the 'hyperlink' is one of its defining traits. If you're just going to write textual pieces and stick them on the web without inter or intra linking, then you're not really creating a multimedia website per se, you're just putting text on the web (ok, this is a slightly biased opinion)

Oh wait. I just read your first post again - I thought you meant 'how do I write ABOUT my website'; my mistake. But I like my ramble above so I'll leave it :p

Anyway...

USE HYPERLINKS.
It's the most obvious, most practical, and most defining trait of websites. It cuts out overlap. It allows EXTERNAL (this is important) linking - it is a GLOBAL web, not just an INTERNAL one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)