mutagenic nature of radiation (1 Viewer)

MiSSi

hey,
need help on discuss evidence for the mutagenic nature of radiation. thanks

tempco

HSC
I have some info on that:

- The danger of ionising radiation became apparent after the discovery of X-rays in 1895.

- Most of the first generation of radiation therapists in the early 1900s died of cancer.

- The effects of UV radiation have also been known for some time. In 1905, cases of skin cancer were recorded on the necks of grape pickers who were exposed to the sun for long periods.

- Further evidence for the mutagenic nature of ionising radiation came with the development of nuclear weapons (atomic bomb on Hiroshima) and nuclear reactors (Chernobyl disaster). In both these areas, there has been an increase in the frequency of cancers, particularly leukemia.

Hope that helped.

swordfish

nekkid serpent... i had almost exactly that....you could use the example of the radiation therapist who tested his equipment by 'lighting' his hand every day...then he got cancer of the hand and died. For some reason that makes me laugh but really its horrible

mei_ling03

Ain't love grand.
HSC
Originally posted by ballerinabarbie
you also should know why radiation is useful in treatment, but not in diagnosis of diseases (eg. cancer) and explain why...
hmm actually i don't know that... care to explain?
i thought they use different types of radiation for diagnosis, as opposed to treatment. hmm getting confused...

arls

Originally posted by swordfish
nekkid serpent... i had almost exactly that....you could use the example of the radiation therapist who tested his equipment by 'lighting' his hand every day...then he got cancer of the hand and died. For some reason that makes me laugh but really its horrible
hahaha.. thats funny,... ive added that to my notes just so i can write it in the exam!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)