Mutations And Crossing Over (1 Viewer)

helpme04

any help with this question would be greatly appreciated.

explain how mutations and crossing over of chromsomes are important processes in evolution.

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
Mutations and crossing over results in the formation of new variations in species. This is important, as the new variations may possess characteristics which give the species an advantage for survival.

A classic example - pepper moths in England. (happy, xiao? :p) They are usually white, which allows them to blend into snow-covered and light coloured trees. However, there is a mutated form which is black. The Industrial Revolution caused many trees to turn black. This gave the mutated 'black' species an advantage. They were able to survive, as they were not spotted by predators. They survived, thrived and multiplied, forming a new, more common variation of the species with a new advantage.

Hope that helped. I'm also moving this thread to the appropriate section.

Last edited:

malkin86

HSC
mutation is important because that increases total variation. Crossing over is important because that increases gamete variation.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
tiger moth??? i thougth twas pepper moth???

and an other interesting thing to note: mutation is the only way which variation can be obtained in the unicellular organisms such as bacteria ... as their daughter cells are genetically idential.... so mutation is the only way to acheive variation...

Tommy_Lamp

Coco
HSC
pretty much comes down to genetic variability producing characteristics that can prove advantageous, hence advancing a species, eg. peppered moths

malkin86

HSC
I heard that the peppered moths/soot thing was a fake. Any thoughts? We can still use it even if it's a fake because it's still in the textbook, says my bio teacher.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
yea... i think timmy and prolly babydoll did mention the controversies around it a long time ago...

ok, if that's less obvious, then use the resistance to antibiotics in bacteria then...

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
xiao1985 said:
yea... i think timmy and prolly babydoll did mention the controversies around it a long time ago...
yeah.. i like the "search" button

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)