Going in year 11 next year.
As of my school, I only have 1 class of everything. I have chosen:
Maths X1
English adv
Ancient
Biology
Physics
SLR
I really want to do chemistry (will also save me from doing a bridging course) but its on at the same time as Ancient history and the reason I'm doing ancient is because of Rome. Now i can do 3 sciences but I'm afraid of the workload as I'm not that interested in biology (in terms of all that gay environmental stuff). I was also told not to do SLR just in case i don't like something else and wont be able to drop it but I'm quite sure that wont be the case but perhaps I'm wrong. Now this is what is comes down to

SLR vs Economics (heard economics is good and I'm willing to give it a try but again, afraid of the workload as I'm doing SLR for some break time)

Chemistry vs Ancient History (refer to what is explained above)

3 sciences vs Physics + Biology + SLR/Economics

Magical Kebab

HSC
Is it that great? You reckon the workload will get bad with three sciences, x1 Maths and eco ..

powlmao

Banned
HSC
I don't do science because i do all the Commerce subjects, but the work load isn't bad really.

I do Business, Legal, Economics, IPT, Maths and english (All high content subjects) and find the work load fine

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
I urge the OP to get down a piece of paper and right down all the pros and cons for each subject. Think this through carefully. Now have you looked at the syllabus for each respective subject? Have you asked past students from your school of what kind of assessments they give and what is required during Year 11? Have you consulted with fellow teachers?

Alkanes

HSC
Going in year 11 next year.
As of my school, I only have 1 class of everything. I have chosen:
Maths X1
English adv
Ancient
Biology
Physics
SLR
I really want to do chemistry (will also save me from doing a bridging course) but its on at the same time as Ancient history and the reason I'm doing ancient is because of Rome. Now i can do 3 sciences but I'm afraid of the workload as I'm not that interested in biology (in terms of all that gay environmental stuff). I was also told not to do SLR just in case i don't like something else and wont be able to drop it but I'm quite sure that wont be the case but perhaps I'm wrong. Now this is what is comes down to

SLR vs Economics (heard economics is good and I'm willing to give it a try but again, afraid of the workload as I'm doing SLR for some break time)

Chemistry vs Ancient History (refer to what is explained above)

3 sciences vs Physics + Biology + SLR/Economics
This will bore the hell out of you. And it's the first module aswell.

jnney

lemon
HSC
Do whatever you want to do, don't listen to other people. Even if you make a mistake, it's a lot better than just sitting there and pondering 'what could have happened' (sorry for the cliche there LOOLOLOOL). If you don't like the subject, you can change early on in the year.

By the way, 3 science is not hardcore at all. I chilled for science in year 11. It really depends on how much effort you are willing to put in. If you are a crammer, year 11 is going to do downhill for you no matter what subject combination you choose.

I remember changing my subjects a few thousand times do.

I tried and dropped: Ancient, Accounting, Hairdressing, Society and Culture, SOR2. My deputy got so sick of me. LOL. Story of my life. I know it's hard picking between subjects, if you're as indecisive as me, go with your instincts.

Last edited:

Parvee

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
HSC
Choose chemistry! You will certainly enjoy it. :)
P.S. It has loads of pracs

interesting

HSC
N/A
Chemistry over Ancient since you REALLY WANT TO DO IT
Economics would benefit you more

Alkanes

HSC
I regret doing bio. Should of done eco. My situation reflects the poem of "The Road Not Taken" by Robert Frost.

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
Well as others have said it is totally your decision. This is what I would do though.

SLR vs Economics - Do Economics. Don't worry about the workload, 13 units shouldn't be a problem in Year 11 at least. Only do SLR if you have a passion for sport, not because you're looking for a bludge. :p
Chemistry vs Ancient History - If you're only interested in doing Ancient History for one topic, I'd do Chemistry, especially if you said you need it for university.
3 Sciences vs Physics + Biology + SLR/Economics - If you don't like Biology, why are you considering doing it? I'd recommend Physics, Chemistry and Economics looking at what you have previously said.

I think that's 11 Units, so if you wanted to pick one more subject why not try Modern History? You have an interest in aspects of Ancient History, and I would imagine that Modern wouldn't be too dissimilar. Or you can pick another subject altogether, or SLR if you don't want to do anything else :p. I wouldn't recommend Biology if you're feeling quite apathetic to it.

Hope that helps. :)

Last edited:

Magical Kebab

HSC
Well as others have said it is totally your decision. This is what I would do though.

SLR vs Economics - Do Economics. Don't worry about the workload, 13 units shouldn't be a problem in Year 11 at least. Only do SLR if you have a passion for sport, not because you're looking for a bludge. :p
Chemistry vs Ancient History - If you're only interested in doing Ancient History for one topic, I'd do Chemistry, especially if you said you need it for university.
3 Sciences vs Physics + Biology + SLR/Economics - Three sciences isn't hard, but if you don't like Biology, why are you considering doing it? I'd recommend Physics, Chemistry and Economics looking at what you have previously said.

Hope that helps. :)
Thank you. Yeah I'll probably go with that.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
SLR vs Economics - Economics is much more interesting and interesting subjects are worth doing ;D Please Pick Economics
Chemistry vs Ancient History - Do chemistry as Ancient History isn't worth doing if you are only in it for one topic.
3 Sciences vs Phys + Bio + SLR/Eco - It's all up to you!

But if you end up doing,
Adv Eng
Ext 1 Maths + Adv Maths
Economics
Physics
Biology
Chemistry
as your 13 units combination then that might be a bit hardcore xD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)