• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Need help for assessment in astrophysic (1 Viewer)

traiwit

HSC
Uni Grad
Q: Discuss which electro-magnetic wavebands it is observed at and why, with respect to the information obtained at different wavebands

Pre-main sequence star
main sequence star
red giant
white dwarf
supernova
neutronstar
blackhole
quasars

Ps. i got no idea about wavebands from each star, it's not in the text book: (
i know just neutron star emit EMR via pulars blah blah something

and also i want to know what is the energy source of
neutronstar
blackhole
quasars

thank you so much for help : )

J-Wang

HSC
the wavebands part simply refers to the EM spectrum and which part of it its emissions falls into (wavelengths). if they are visible they obviously fall into the visible light part of the EM spectrum. if they r invisible they obviously emit gamma rays or radio waves etc.
4 the rest of ur answer, i cbf to explain cause it gets slightly complicated, but if ur textbook doesnt have the answer, have u thought of googling it? that's always a good start :p

traiwit

HSC
Uni Grad
yes i did try, i just dont know how to answer it. for example main sequence star emit every EMR, but what for the other will it be the same ?

so should all my answer says every type of star emit every EMR ?

thank you btw : )

J-Wang

HSC
well that fact is not entirely true. black holes, for example, absorb everything and emit nothing. hence, i am unsure as to their exact waveband as such. and i think the question is more referring to which waveband does it emit most of, so for MSS for example, they emit visible light predominantly.

traiwit

HSC
Uni Grad
well that fact is not entirely true. black holes, for example, absorb everything and emit nothing. hence, i am unsure as to their exact waveband as such. and i think the question is more referring to which waveband does it emit most of, so for MSS for example, they emit visible light predominantly.
okay this make more sense. So better to talk about each waveband rather than talk about each type of star ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)