• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Need Help With Monologue plz (1 Viewer)

modestmouse

Hey guys,
Im starting to get a bit frustrated and a little worried at the fact that I am yet to find a good male monologue for my major performance in the HSC. I have been searching at home and we have been given some time in class to find a monologue. The only problem is I cant seem to find any dramatic male monologues which have any depth and meaning. The ones Im finding are very shallow, the character isnt clearly developed and are very minimal in a time sense.
I would be really grateful if someone could maybe refer me to a site, or a play and possibly even a movie which has a substantial male monologue. Im looking for something dramatic and serious preferrably, but if i find the right comedic one that would be awesome aswell.
Thanks in advance ;)

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
Hey there modestmouse,

Many guys seem to find this problem, and alot of them tend to go in search of other characters and adapting them from plays and films (writing their own). With the depth issue, perhaps you could add a dimension of depth to the character. For example, a girl from my school last year got a monolgoue from a book about a teacher who had just been dumped giving a sex ed talk. The character itself was unbelivably shallow... however, she built on it using different teacher traits she had seen to create a complex character, and actually ended up scoring well in the end (I believe it was somewhere around 88 for exam!). If you're looking to adapt, there are some basic ones that I am sure are VERY overused, like John Proctor (The Crucible), Othello, Hamlet... etc. Do you have a favourite character/play/film?

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
dont go for net monologues, they usually lack depth of characterisation. try looking at your favourite novels and maybe see if you can adapt a character from those, or you could choose a monologue or a character form a play to adapt. if u want a play idea i've been told that "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?" is a good one, i havent read it though. anyway hope you find something, and good luck 4 ur exam :)

modestmouse

Thanks for the help, Im still looking and have basically given up on net monologues. Ill keep searching, I think it would be good to create my own monologue but its extremely time consuming especially since i am already a little behind. I would want to make sure i created something substantial, who knows. Anyway thanks again!

Crowie

HSC
N/A
stay away from net monologues its a gaurentee that a fair few other ppl will b doing the same script as u if it is decent
just find a good play or novel and devise a script from that you can do that in a week.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)