• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

NJorton Anitvirus (2 Viewers)

Lord Ac

Trust me *wink*
HSC
My free subscription ended a few weeks ago and everyday this red coloured window pops up and asks me to resubscribe. I dont want to but can only find an option to ask me later

how do i turn it off!?
A
c

Huy

HSC
N/A
This belongs in IT stuff ;)

If you still have the original CDs and/or installation (setup) disk(s), then you will be able to reinstall Norton AntiVirus and it will give you a further year's subscription to LiveUpdate and virus definition files. (Free of charge, otherwise you would have to pay, of course).

If you choose to 'remind me later' or otherwise, it will still come up, as your virus definitions are out of date ('old'). :)

By the way, which Norton AV are you using?

2001, 2002, 2003, 2004 (?).

Last edited:

Soma

Toney Starks Fanboy
HSC
yeh i did that and it worked but i tried to do install it for the 3rd time and it didnt must have been something in the registry :S

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Soma
yeh i did that and it worked but i tried to do install it for the 3rd time and it didnt must have been something in the registry :S
Did you uninstall LiveUpdate as well?

There are components in NAV which must also be completely uninstalled, before you attempt to reinstall (cleanly I might add, don't install over the top of an existing install) NAV.

Items such as LiveReg, LiveUpdate and Norton AntiVirus (2000, 01, 02, 03, 04, corporate, whichever) must be uninstalled individually, through Control Panel, and the system restarted before you try and install (freshly) another copy of NAV itself. :)

/edit
There are also "LiveUpdate" time-bomb removers and such 'extenders', but it is not up to me to decide if you want to do this or not, I'm just saying that there are 'ways' around such matters, however, Symantec and the Norton line of AV software do need support, and you should subscribe (legally) to receive virus definitions. :)

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Ragerunner
*Cough* Kazaa *Cough*
Way to ruin the legalities.

*large cough* 2003-09-12 Norton Antivirus 2004 Pro. v10.0.0.109 (c) Symantec PROMPT *rubs throat*

:rolleyes:

BOS is about the HSC/education... :)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
I *cough* still use warez sites for *cough* appz like norton

Winston

HSC
subscription service is seriously a load of crap

it just provides u with a interface for updating your virus defs

just logon to the symtantec website and download the virus definition file and install it

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by Huy
Yes, you could do it that way too :)

www.symantec.com -> downloads

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/defs.download.html

you can download virus definition update files manually and install it that way, but 'most' home users will prefer auto-updates and using the liveupdate interface to update their virus defs.

either way, it works :)
it's about personal preference, yet again.
Yep, but i do think Symantec is running out of ideas in their new versions of NAV every year, well i think this year they added something new "Product Activation" horray :rolleyes:, it's quite stupid how you pay for a product, and it only lasts one year, and your forced to purchase a new subscription service or upgrade, so i could say NAV is the only software i totally agree to be Warez'd, they deserve it dammit lol

Huy

HSC
N/A
yeah, they've added things like IM-virus checking, other instant messaging blocking techniques, email and inbox checking, and yes, product activation.

i believe they'ved added trojan and backdoor checking as well, in an effort to thwart things like blaster and other worms.

they'll be running out of ideas when mcafee (i believe) team up with microsoft to develop in-built AV software into the next version of windows.

the product itself isn't all that expensive, for the academic licensing. i use unsw's corporate copy of nav 7.61, so i receive automatic and free virus defs (family member is on the unsw staff).

but i agree with buying something and lasting for 1 year only, until you have to purchase 'norton 2005' just to renew a couple of subscriptions and to have 1-2 more 'features'.

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by Huy
yeah, they've added things like IM-virus checking, other instant messaging blocking techniques, email and inbox checking, and yes, product activation.

i believe they'ved added trojan and backdoor checking as well, in an effort to thwart things like blaster and other worms.

they'll be running out of ideas when mcafee (i believe) team up with microsoft to develop in-built AV software into the next version of windows.

the product itself isn't all that expensive, for the academic licensing. i use unsw's corporate copy of nav 7.61, so i receive automatic and free virus defs (family member is on the unsw staff).

but i agree with buying something and lasting for 1 year only, until you have to purchase 'norton 2005' just to renew a couple of subscriptions and to have 1-2 more 'features'.
Ezxactly, i wouldn't be too game about Microsoft's integration of a built in Anti-Virus, surely many computer illiterate users who purhase OEM PC's will find it handy and secured because it's from Microsoft, and the fact they don't enjoy spending more of a penny on additional third party software. But i can see numerous flaws within the OS the integration of Anti-Virus is to be done, unless the entire Win32 API was re-written from the ground up, this baby Anti-Virus can be by-far easy to exploit, and in which can impose threat to the user, i wouldn't say too much as Longhorn (Windows Codename 2005) is still in Alpha.

Huy

HSC
N/A
You will only have to think about "integrated CD burning" with Windows XP to see where this is headed.

However, having said that, integrated firewalls are 'effective' to some extent, and integrated antivirus solutions might just be what the doctor ordered. (it is envisaged that there will be enabling/disabling options, just like the firewall/cd burning "tools/features")

:)

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by Huy
You will only have to think about "integrated CD burning" with Windows XP to see where this is headed.

However, having said that, integrated firewalls are 'effective' to some extent, and integrated antivirus solutions might just be what the doctor ordered. (it is envisaged that there will be enabling/disabling options, just like the firewall/cd burning "tools/features")

:)
i used the burning once, my god was it bloody long....

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Winston
i used the burning once, my god was it bloody long....
LOL i used it once as well, just to see what it was like.

took forever just to compile/copy the files to the temporary 'cd'
then forever to start burning

i swear it was 10 minutes+

i'll stick to nero... LOL, i can do it in 2 minutes instead :rolleyes:

thank god there's a 'disable cd writing on this drive' option,

i think microsoft would have been wise if they had 'on the fly' options, so that you wouldnt have to copy files "twice" in a sense, create an image or temporary 'storage area' (even on the hard disk, that just takes too long), and then going through the wizards and having it crash on you (which could happen... you dont know roxio/adatec, prone to crashes/coasters LOL)

gooOoo ahead/nero burning rom :)

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by Huy
LOL i used it once as well, just to see what it was like.

took forever just to compile/copy the files to the temporary 'cd'
then forever to start burning

i swear it was 10 minutes+

i'll stick to nero... LOL, i can do it in 2 minutes instead :rolleyes:

thank god there's a 'disable cd writing on this drive' option,

i think microsoft would have been wise if they had 'on the fly' options, so that you wouldnt have to copy files "twice" in a sense, create an image or temporary 'storage area' (even on the hard disk, that just takes too long), and then going through the wizards and having it crash on you (which could happen... you dont know roxio/adatec, prone to crashes/coasters LOL)

gooOoo ahead/nero burning rom :)
i agree, like if you right click and copy a file to CD, at least bring up a dialog with a listview, to drag and drop files into,and when burning fark, show some progress dammit lol...

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Norton 2004 has product activiation so if you don't have the warez version, you can just re-install to get another year

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)