• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

No ATAR, what happens with HSC then? (1 Viewer)

zacgrant90

HSC
I'm currently doing 12 units in year 11 while Health and Fitness at TAFE.
I got told by my careers adviser I would not be getting an ATAR which I was and still okay with it.
I researched a bit on the ATAR and its a rank (obviously) in comparison with other students.
Since I'm not getting an ATAR what is the point of doing my HSC exams in year 12 since the whole point of it is to be compared with other students.
Parents told me I would get a certificate to say i completed year 12, but wont be getting an ATAR which is pretty much the important thing out of the two.
I'm only at school so I don't miss out on the experience of year 12 but mainly so the school can pay for my TAFE course.
To sum it all up, I want to be a personal trainer through Cert 3 in Health and Fitness and Cert 4 of Health and Fitness after school, Im at school only for the experience and for school to pay for TVET, what is the point of me going through the HSC exams and being all serious about it when I don't receive an ATAR which is pretty much the whole point of doing them.
Right now I'm questioning as to why I should even bother with every subject besides PDHPE and the exams altogether.

Sorry if its confusing and for all the information.

panda15

Alligator Navigator
HSC
ATAR means jack shit unless you're going to uni. If you plan on doing your Cert 3 and Cert 4 in health and fitness, you don't need an ATAR.

So no, ATAR isn't the important thing out of the two for you. Having your HSC is the important thing for you when you start to look for employment because it always looks good on a resume.

zacgrant90

HSC
Yep exactly what above poster said. There's a big difference between a) Not completing year 12 and b) Not getting an ATAR.

Atar is essentially meaningless if you are not planning on going to university. In fact, quite a lot of people who do get ATARs don't even make it into university. Just do whatever it takes, the bare minimum, to complete year 12 and do well in your cert's and you'll be fine.
Makes sense, although Im worried about after TAFE. Someone I know is a qualified personal trainer yet their a tradie because there is no one that will employ him in a gym, there all full. Might have to do good in school now just so I have a back up :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)