• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

'No Pain No Gain' - really? (1 Viewer)

dux&src

just a star-crossed lover
HSC
Post your personal experiences where you pushed to the limits by friends/personal trainers etc

Cramps, burning muscles, calluses etcetera

I sort of like to follow the expression 'no pain no gain' in the gym, it really does fire me up. Just be wary of pushing yourself too much, as you may be left with injuries putting you out of the gym for days,weeks or months.

I'm aware that not having DOMS (delayed onset muscles soreness) doesn't necessarily mean you haven't worked hard enough in the gym. I usually get DOMS when a try a new exercise (feels great).

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
im usually in quite some pain in the following 3 or so days after ive worked out.

i did weights today, currently im feeling a pleasant numbness, but tomorrow morning i'll be hurting.

If im not hurting afterwards then i reckon i didnt do much, and that'd mean i step up all the weights by a few kgs.

Also the weights we have have rough grip, so im getting calluses on my hand as well.

Barbell chin raises (whatever they're called) make my left shoulder joint click, for some reason. I ignored it at first, then it started really hurting. I think its some hereditary thing, my mum gets shoulder problems, damn her >:-[
Did some today, quite heavy, shoulder started hurting 30mins later :(

HSC
iron addict said:
5) Training to near muscular failure has shown to induce identical hypertrophy gains than training to all out muscular failure. The reason you guys can’t train a muscle more than once per week is because you are destroying it when you do train it. Learn to hit or miss that last rep and then call it done. Don’t do ridiculous amounts of forced reps, negatives, etc. until you literally can’t move the muscle. Take it to near failure and then your muscles will recover enough so that you can train them again in 3-4 days.

Understand that there is a huge difference in training to near failure and not training hard. I would never advocate to not train hard. Actually, quite the opposite – try to squat for 5 sets of 5 reps using only 10lbs less than your five rep max. That’s absolutely brutal. But when you get done, don’t go to the leg press machine and keep pounding out sets and stripping off weight until you literal can’t do a single leg press with only the sled. That’s absurd, and you can’t recover from it in 3 days.

12) “The burn”, “the pump” and “the feel” have nothing to do with the effectiveness of an exercise. Yes, even I have been caught on upper body days looking at myself in the mirror when I’m all blown up, but that has nothing to do with the effectiveness of the last exercise. You do hammer strength bench presses and flyes for sets of 20 and I’ll do heavy barbell bench presses and deep dips. One of us will “feel the pump” more and the other one will grow.

13) Likewise, delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS) also gives no clue as to the effectiveness of a workout. It just means A) you have a ton of microtrauma in a muscle or a lot of lactic acid/ waste products. Congratulations.

HSC
im usually in quite some pain in the following 3 or so days after ive worked out.

i did weights today, currently im feeling a pleasant numbness, but tomorrow morning i'll be hurting.

If im not hurting afterwards then i reckon i didnt do much, and that'd mean i step up all the weights by a few kgs.
I usually base my success on whether or not I make the reps or have gained weight on the scales...

Also the weights we have have rough grip, so im getting calluses on my hand as well.
Chalk. Get you some.

Barbell chin raises (whatever they're called) make my left shoulder joint click, for some reason. I ignored it at first, then it started really hurting. I think its some hereditary thing, my mum gets shoulder problems, damn her >:-[
Did some today, quite heavy, shoulder started hurting 30mins later :(
wtf is a barbell chin raise?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)