Nooby tutors - your thoughts (1 Viewer)

jessika

law chicky
HSC
Originally posted by Lazarus
my little anecdote: I tutored 2u maths and adv english this year, after my HSC. I probably wasn't qualified enough :) but it ended up working out well anyway. Also had some y9 maths students. I only charged $20 p/h.
only $20! I reckon thats a lot for something isn't technically 'qualified'.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Heh, several parents told me that I had "very competitive rates" and that I should be charging more. :rolleyes:

InfiniteQ

Solitary
HSC
Heh, several parents told me that I had "very competitive rates" and that I should be charging more. :rolleyes:
I guess they're not familiar with tutors whose rates are between 35-50 per hour.
I think 20's very resonable and you teach well! Maths anyway.

sukiyaki

emptiness
HSC
my tutor ]maths] charges 16 an hour she completed hsc last yr its okay shes knows what to teach but juz sumtyms she gets stuck and comsumes tym :chainsaw:
thoz last teacher hu waz a teacher waz actually more worst!! got stuck all the time

Christine

beige member
HSC
i used to pay $45 an hour for italian - it was money well spent tho.

I'd like to tutor juniour students english and history but i'm not sure how to go about it. any suggestions?

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by Christine
i used to pay $45 an hour for italian - it was money well spent tho.

I'd like to tutor juniour students english and history but i'm not sure how to go about it. any suggestions?
I'm going to go back to my old school and look for business :D

spice girl

magic mirror
Originally posted by Bon
I believe if you understand something, you can teach it
the trouble is people get high marks, and so they 'think' they understand something that they really don't.

believe me, a lot of people do maths ~mechanically~: the teacher tells them to do a type of question using a specific method, and they do that not knowing why they should be doing it.

give them something a tad harder and they're stumped for an hour.

especially when we've only been thru it last year and haven't really had the time to digest what we've learnt.

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
I'd feel more comfortable with someone that had recently finished the HSC, cos they would be really familiar with the syllabus and the exams, and it'd be better just having someone close to my age...but I'd have to know they did really well in that subject, and I wouldn't expect them to be charging much...

I never had a tutor though for any subject though...I'm too pov.

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by spice girl

the trouble is people get high marks, and so they 'think' they understand something that they really don't.

believe me, a lot of people do maths ~mechanically~: the teacher tells them to do a type of question using a specific method, and they do that not knowing why they should be doing it.

especially when we've only been thru it last year and haven't really had the time to digest what we've learnt.
How right you are....it is quite possible to do very well in 4U just by knowing the algorithms.

Dumbarse

Originally posted by spice girl

spice girl if u sat a 4 unit maths test again tommorrow could u get through it alright u think??

i would fail miserably, i'd be so much slower and forget alot

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
S'pose I could... :p But I would've kept some more of my notes if I planned to.

Newbie tutors are alright... they should have the extra energy and dedication though. Knowing the smart way to do the problem is a bonus, but some students could reasonably just want to do the job and get it over with, and stuff all the knowledge. Met with a few. :p

Some tutors (young or old) might just teach the the 'algorithms' and leave it there. Gets their job requiements done.

Dan_the_man

I think newbie tutors would go ok... especially if they got good marks...... but $45 for an hour for anything :jaw: I would never pay that (I'm a bum with no money)

InfiniteQ

Solitary
HSC
Originally posted by Dan_the_man
I think newbie tutors would go ok... especially if they got good marks...... but $45 for an hour for anything :jaw: I would never pay that (I'm a bum with no money)
Friend of mine pays $45 an hour for maths tuition... she still flunked her assessment. Just goes to show that if you don't put in the hard yards yourself, tuition isn't going to do magical wonders for you.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
I would personally prefer a tutor who is a teacher. Many tutors are current teachers and I think that would give you the best advantage, having a teacher to yourself. I wouldn't pay someone who just did the HSC because I think you'd be inclined (well some people would, not all) to talk about other things & get distracted. So I reckon the best way is to get a tutor who is a teacher and go over stuff with your friends, because you can teach them stuff they don't understand and vice versa (remember thos chocolates?) and you both benefit. But its definately a matter of personal choice

jessika

law chicky
HSC
Originally posted by YEAR11
So I reckon the best way is to get a tutor who is a teacher and go over stuff with your friends, because you can teach them stuff they don't understand and vice versa (remember thos chocolates?)
lol, arguing with my friends over some stupid concept worked wonders for my memory...and teaching stuff to ther people, made me remember it better.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
thats because your famous ... laz of bos ...:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)