notes- essay (1 Viewer)

popsmokeswife

HSC
does anyone have any notes or essays for this question

Explain the importance to a business of having operations processes that can maintain a competitive advantage.

thank u so much

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
While I don't have a sample response targeting Question 27 from this year's Business Studies HSC exam, perhaps I could provide guidance, hoping that you would find it helpful in terms of answering this question.

First, let us consider the key terms in this question, being "importance", "operations processes" and "maintain a competitive advantage". This means that your response should contain the following:
  • An explanation regarding the manner in which operations processes can assist a business in maintaining a competitive advantage, supported by case study material where appropriate.
  • An explanation that justifies the importance of a business having such operations processes.
With reference to the syllabus, you may wish to discuss transforming resources (human resources and facilities) from the inputs dot point. In terms of human resources, you can establish that the favourable quality and the manner in which the skills and knowledge of employees are applied to materials to convert them into goods and services can assist a business in maintaining a competitive advantage. In terms of facilities, the premises, land, equipment and technology that a business possesses and uses in operations can be a source of competitive advantage. Once you have successfully explained each concept, you may wish to support them with case study material that encompasses either real-life or hypothetical businesses.

In terms of the transformation processes dot point, you could discuss sequencing and scheduling. Here, you could emphasise the importance of a business managing the sequence and the time aspect of its tasks, so that it is able to complete them in the correct order and in a timely manner, ultimately allowing for a smooth and effective transformation process. Subsequently, you can explain the relevance of tools such as Gantt charts and critical path analysis to this point and then refer to case study material to further support your point.

Next, you may either choose to discuss monitoring, control and improvement or discuss customer service from the outputs dot point. In my opinion, the latter may be the better option given that it is a fairly straightforward concept to explain and it is also quite simple to support it with case study material. Essentially, good customer service is one of the ways through which a business can achieve a competitive advantage and differentiate itself from competitors.

I hope this helps! 😄

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)