• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

now im scared (1 Viewer)

dark*sparkle

Fabulous Member
HSC
i just started 4 unit english but i have no idea WHATSOEVER planned for my major work. i mean i know its early days but i think i should have at least something.

judging from the posts ive read u guys know what youre talking about so i was wondering how some of you who have done, or are doing, ee2 came up with ideas/concepts/themes/whatever for your major work.

coz i'm completely at a loss

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Don't panic hun. I've posted this in another forum, but here ya go...

Jot some of your answers to these questions down. I'm also thinking of the syllabus as well as assessment tasks as I ask you...

-What are you most passionate about? (This should let you motivate you)

-What do you want to tell the world? (Sense of purpose or direction)

-What do you WANT to know more about? (Research aspect)

-What aspect of English Extension 1 or Advanced English have you found interesting and would like to extend on it a little more? (In the course you are required to explain how your project is an extension of these courses)

-What medium have you had the most experience in and/or want to expand on? (Help you with confidence so you have room for experimentation)

-What connections do you have eg: People with great multimedia knowledge or friends and relatives who are writers etc (This will help you with your medium as well as boost your mark for extensive independent investigation)

-What are some of the injustices of the world eg: dominant discourses such as the "otherness" of women (Another purpose thing)

If you can't think of an idea now, at least think of the medium or concept. Remember that a "concept" is not as simple as a plot narrative or whatever. Perhaps you want to question the boundary between memory and reality blah blah blah.

I think those questions should get you started. The more answers, the better prepared you'll be.

J

jhakka

dark*sparkle said:
i just started 4 unit english but i have no idea WHATSOEVER planned for my major work. i mean i know its early days but i think i should have at least something.

judging from the posts ive read u guys know what youre talking about so i was wondering how some of you who have done, or are doing, ee2 came up with ideas/concepts/themes/whatever for your major work.

coz i'm completely at a loss
Don't stress, my basic idea for my major work came in February this year (and even then, the plot for my story wasn't even formed until April).

Just write for the sake of it. What comes to mind? If you don't like what you've written, save it anyway. If you do like it, save it and remember where you kept it. Make sure you look over it later and see if you still like it. Write more about that. Try and expand it. Go from there.

Sorry, I'm assuming you're doing a short story. I can't help you if you're not. :p

I'll write more later, but right now I'm too tired to give coherent advice.

dark*sparkle

Fabulous Member
HSC
well thanks anyway kids, i'm sure it will figure itself out. i just have this image of me this time next year with bloodshot eyes and coffee in front of a computer screen

fuckfoot

has no soul
HSC
dark*sparkle said:
well thanks anyway kids, i'm sure it will figure itself out. i just have this image of me this time next year with bloodshot eyes and coffee in front of a computer screen
hey, that was me the night before hand-in.
and did i stop at midnight? no sir-ee!

and don't forget the hysteria, there's lots and lots of hysteria. i managed to slag off the english co-ordinator in front of my entire math class. and the whole day- when i should have been recovering, all that was going through my head was "weeeeeeeeeeeeoooooooooooooooweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeoooooooooooo"

great experience.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
fuckfoot said:

and don't forget the hysteria, there's lots and lots of hysteria. i managed to slag off the english co-ordinator in front of my entire math class. and the whole day- when i should have been recovering, all that was going through my head was "weeeeeeeeeeeeoooooooooooooooweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeoooooooooooo"

great experience.
hahahahaha!!! LOL!!

The night before the hand in... when I had finally said, "screw this, I'm sleeping," I went to bed and was wide awake as hell (seeing as though I had similar nights to this in the previous 3 days, its amazing). I was proof-reading in my head, without my reflection statement and majorwork there. I must have memorised it all!

I couldn't exactly recover unfortunately... since I had art and music 2 & ext majorworks due after it....

BE AFRAID!!!

But the feeling is good when its done!!!

J

jhakka

Dark*sparkle, don't listen to them. Just make sure you have a first draft done by early term 2 next year and you'll be fine. These people are bad examples. :p

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
jhakka said:
Dark*sparkle, don't listen to them. Just make sure you have a first draft done by early term 2 next year and you'll be fine. These people are bad examples. :p
OI! I gave good advice in the beginning. :uhhuh:

gemita

Raube Hohle convert
HSC
very true. the night before, I took myself a "break" at 4am, got 2 hours sleep and then got up at 6 to keep doing back-entries in my journal. I was still writing in my journal at 8.59 am.

J

jhakka

I updated my journal every few weeks... or at least wrote all the entries I should have already written every few weeks. Once I got towards the end, it was done regularly.

fuckfoot

has no soul
HSC
jhakka said:
These people are bad examples. :p
what do you mean?
i'm a paradigm of goodness.

anyway, we can't be off deluding the youth. it's our duty to remind them just how cruel this world can be. and if that means leading by example, so be it.

(ah, my argument is lost)

J

jhakka

So we're setting the example of what not to do? Why are we suffering for the good of the class of 05 and beyond?

HSC
N/A
fuckfoot said:

great experience.
hahahahaha... I gotta admit, I don't think I got that bad. although i did start to apply psychological notions within my short story to the real world... :S

As for next year, sitting in front of a computer screen (particularly the night before hand-in is inevitable. Don't fight it. Simply stock up on caffiene instead :D

dark*sparkle, you'll find that a lot of people didn't finalise their ideas till January of February - even then it's still very subject to change and evolution. Just do your thing, and you'll find "your idea" soon enough.

Smile!

dark*sparkle

Fabulous Member
HSC
Well okay, thanx everyone. your advice was helpful yet amusing. thanks for helping the little one!

hotcocoababe

Sexiest BoS Member
I'm up there.... somewhere... gently floating abou
HSC
True that - seriously, i think the majority of us composed our MW's all within the last few weeks! Stress kicks in and you do everything at hyper-speed. Don't worry about it, just fill in your journal as you go along, making sure you do interesting creative writing things like attend workshops (it really impresses the markers if you do)

You'll be FINE!!!! And we're all here to give you the benefit of our experience, whenever you need it!

good luck bud ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)