• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

O-Week and Gym Prices... (2 Viewers)

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
A bit of news..

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national...corporate-world/2007/01/23/1169518709563.html

SMH said:
CORPORATE stalls will invade orientation week and university publications will rely on advertising for the first time as universities feel the impact of voluntary student unionism this year.

"Students will have to negotiate through Virgin phones to find the student welfare services," said Angus McFarland, student president at the University of Sydney.

"I understand there's a need under VSU to make more money, and sponsorship and commercial stalls at O-Week is an easy way of doing that, but it's just sad that what would normally be a student-run and student-focused event with hundreds of stalls for clubs and societies and student services … is going to become a bit of a corporate affair," he said.

The University of Technology, Sydney will stop subsidising tutors for low-income students and gym prices will rise by nearly one-third. Food outlets will be closed at the University of NSW, pubs have already been closed at the University of Western Sydney and student publications, many of which have proud traditions of resisting potential commercial conflicts, will take advertisements.

Darren Loasby, the UTS student president, said the editors of the university publication Vertigo would reconcile with their consciences by accepting advertisements only from companies deemed to be good corporate citizens.

"[The editors] are in the process of developing a blacklist. For example, ANZ bank would be a company that we would reject outright," Mr Loasby said.
"Corporate stalls will invade orientation week"... Didn't they already invade them? Last year I remember Apple and Un-wired stalls (advertising their products), Commbank and NAB stalls (advertising their credit cards), travel agent stalls, computer shop stalls, etc etc. We already had to walk through this and pass them before we could join our desired club or society.
What will this year be like?

Gym Prices.. they continue to increase
http://www.utsunion.uts.edu.au/sport/fitness/membership.html said:
UTS STUDENT AND STAFF RATES
1 Casual Visit $8.00
1 Month $75.00
3 Month $150.00
6 Month $250.00

NEW 10 VISIT PASS OFFER
10 Visit Pass - $70.00 for UTS Students, Staff and Alumni
$100.00 for General Public.

PUBLIC RATES
1 Casual Visit $12.00
1 Month $110.00
3 Month $255.00
6 Month $365.00
Lets see when we increase our UTS student rates by one-third.
1 Casual Visit $8.00 --> $10.67
1 Month $75.00 --> $100.00
3 Month $150.00 --> $200.00
6 Month $250.00 --> $333.33

What happened to the days when casual visits were $5?? =/

Feel free to comment =)

Spider786

Premium Member
HSC
shucks, we're getting in during a shitty period..., this especially sucks since unis have been round for ages(literally) as highly respected educational institution, but now the governments forcing them to their knees, how do they expect to increase the low education standings of australia like this?, i don't think education is high on their list of priorities, whoever sees education as a priority is going to get my vote (first ever:D), this year. This is the only way to get change to come about, voting, we are a democracy after all.

im gonna have to go to this gym anyway... :\, hey, can i ask you about student discounts? im planning on getting a laptop for uni, and it would great if someone could gimme some info?, e.g i heard dell gives student discounts, are they much? i already have a computer i want (ASUS F3JP), for about 1800 but i haven't really looked at student discounts etc and someone mentioned them to me, and hoping i can find a better deal.

Last edited:

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
Huratio said:
A bit of news..

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national...corporate-world/2007/01/23/1169518709563.html

"Corporate stalls will invade orientation week"... Didn't they already invade them? Last year I remember Apple and Un-wired stalls (advertising their products), Commbank and NAB stalls (advertising their credit cards), travel agent stalls, computer shop stalls, etc etc. We already had to walk through this and pass them before we could join our desired club or society.
What will this year be like?

Gym Prices.. they continue to increase

Lets see when we increase our UTS student rates by one-third.
1 Casual Visit $8.00 --> $10.67
1 Month $75.00 --> $100.00
3 Month $150.00 --> $200.00
6 Month $250.00 --> $333.33

What happened to the days when casual visits were $5?? =/

Feel free to comment =)
10.67 still isn't that bad
gyms around here charge $18 for a casual visit! :|

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
Spider786 said:
shucks, we're getting in during a shitty period..., this especially sucks since unis have been round for ages(literally) as highly respected educational institution, but now the governments forcing them to their knees, how do they expect to increase the low education standings of australia like this?, i don't think education is high on their list of priorities, whoever sees education as a priority is going to get my vote (first ever:D), this year. This is the only way to get change to come about, voting, we are a democracy after all.

im gonna have to go to this gym anyway... :\, hey, can i ask you about student discounts? im planning on getting a laptop for uni, and it would great if someone could gimme some info?, e.g i heard dell gives student discounts, are they much? i already have a computer i want (ASUS F3JP), for about 1800 but i haven't really looked at student discounts etc and someone mentioned them to me, and hoping i can find a better deal.
Well it comes back to the VSU arguement. $150-200 a semester in union fees vs. diminished clubs, societies and facilities on campus.

In terms of student discounts there are ones for Apple, but I'm not sure about others and by how much. You'll have to check them out.

goan_crazy said:
10.67 still isn't that bad
gyms around here charge $18 for a casual visit! :|
Fitness First charges $18 a casual visit, and $15 if you are with a full-paying member.

Well.. If you compare the UTS fitness centre with a Premium Fitness First.. you will understand why there is a difference.
BTW, I was paying $5 for a casual visit @ the beginning of last year.

Last edited:

goan_crazy

HSC
Huratio said:
Well it comes back to the VSU arguement. $150-200 a semester in union fees vs. diminished clubs, societies and facilities on campus.

Im terms of student discounts there are ones for Apple, but I'm not sure about others and by how much. You'll have to check them out.

Fitness First charges $18 a casual visit, and $15 if you are with a full-paying member.

Well.. If you compare the UTS fitness centre with a Premium Fitness First.. you will understand why there is a difference.
BTW, I was paying $5 for a casual visit @ the beginning of last year.
$5 is so good
100% inflation

oh well i guess $10 is still alright for a gym casual visit

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
Well it actually says "gym prices will rise by nearly one-third"- So there is bound to be an increase but it may not be by one-third.

Okey.. here is a question-

If you were the UTS Union, what would you do with your limited funding due to VSU???

Things I would keep:
- Second hand bookshop
- Fitness centre
- Union retail shop
- Bar and foodcourt
- Clubs and societies (cut the very unpopular ones?)

Things I would consider chopping/cutting down:
- Short courses
- Trips and adventures
- Diary: I don't like to use it- I normally buy my own. This is the case for a percentage of people i think
- Blurt: Union magazine, probably once a month rather than once a week publication

goan_crazy

HSC
Huratio said:
Well it actually says "gym prices will rise by nearly one-third"- So there is bound to be an increase but it may not be by one-third.

Okey.. here is a question-

If you were the UTS Union, what would you do with your limited funding due to VSU???

Things I would keep:
- Second hand bookshop
- Fitness centre
- Union retail shop
- Bar and foodcourt
- Clubs and societies (cut the very unpopular ones?)

Things I would consider chopping/cutting down:
- Short courses
- Trips and adventures
- Diary: I don't like to use it- I normally buy my own. This is the case for a percentage of people i think
- Blurt: Union magazine, probably once a month rather than once a week publication
yeah i'd keep the same things

and cut:
advantage card-people arent gonna pay $200 for it, i think its something ridiculous like that
Blurt-no one reads it...
Diary - its good but not everyone uses it

HSC
N/A
Dingo2004 said:
u r better off going to rebel sport and buying your own gym set and work out at home..
save heaps of money
cuz everyone can afford that.

but nice plug

rebel is hawt :(

goan_crazy said:
yeah i'd keep the same things

and cut:
advantage card-people arent gonna pay $200 for it, i think its something ridiculous like that
Blurt-no one reads it...
Diary - its good but not everyone uses it
I've already paid. The point of the advantage card is to get the funding? It's the voluntary unionism? I think it's a good thing, I understand it's a lot of money but they have to get the funding from somewhere. I'm sick of people bitching about VSU but then not actually voluntarily paying the money.

I read Blurt too, they have competitions and stuff, it's not a bad thing? You get the information about events that the uni puts on. I can understand cutting back the numbers of them though. You read it once then leave it around and someone else can read it. Works better.

I understand the cutting of short courses and activity groups and stuff.

I know so many people that use the diary and I do, despite buying my own one *shrug*

Last edited:

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
Dingo2004 said:
u r better off going to rebel sport and buying your own gym set and work out at home..
save heaps of money
Gym equipment is highly depreciative.. it is like buying a car (worth 50% after one year).

(this is what accountants think about - im already becoming one and i haven't even started the major =/)

Silver And Cold said:
I've already paid. The point of the advantage card is to get the funding? It's the voluntary unionism? I think it's a good thing, I understand it's a lot of money but they have to get the funding from somewhere. I'm sick of people bitching about VSU but then not actually voluntarily paying the money.

I read Blurt too, they have competitions and stuff, it's not a bad thing? You get the information about events that the uni puts on. I can understand cutting back the numbers of them though. You read it once then leave it around and someone else can read it. Works better.

I understand the cutting of short courses and activity groups and stuff.

I know so many people that use the diary and I do, despite buying my own one *shrug*
The main government arguement to this is that a percentage of people don't like forking out $400 a year for not alot in return (in their opinion).

In terms of the advantage card, how many people actually picked up one last year and actively used it - yes I mean a regular user. We'd much prefer if there were obvious price cutting on something like university food.
Flashing a card takes effort and not many are bothered with doing it.

You don't read Blurt every week do you? Wouldn't cutting the publication from weekly to fortnightly or monthly save money?

diary - yuck.

HSC
N/A
I can understand that, but I think that's what they're trying to achieve with the advantage card, maybe not a good way to go about it, but they're trying to make a point of cutting the price of things, food included, for the people that bother to fund them. I understand that you'd prefer overall price cuts but if they don't do it the way they are, then everyone gets price cuts and nobody bothers to give the union any money. I don't know if what I'm getting at is clear but hopefully you get me ;)

As for Blurt, I thought they just changed it to a fortnightly thing, it used to be a weekly thing. And yes, sadly enough, I read it every release.

By the by: Advantage Card last year was used by me regularly, however, I never touched the actual discount booklet.

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
well they should reintroduce student unionism (to some extent - whether it be a limit on how much students pay a year) --> price cuts on food --> ditch the advantage card =)

discount booklet was only good for one thing: when your bored and felt like tearing perforated paper.

denise_

So fetch!
HSC
uni gyms don't have aerobics instructors do they? I think i might use up my month's membership with fitness first and find another gym. they are so dodgey.

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
denise_ said:
uni gyms don't have aerobics instructors do they? I think i might use up my month's membership with fitness first and find another gym. they are so dodgey.
There are group lessons in the studios that are there. Group timetable is @ http://www.utsunion.uts.edu.au/sport/fitness/class/aerobics.html

Spider786 said:
whats wrong with uni gyms?, anyone here go to the uts one? any good?
It is okay, but it is no Fitness First Premium.
They brought in new equipment some time last year, as it occasionally can get really busy and you might have to wait to use equipment.

There is no FF near the campus though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)