• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Opinions from Gothic Writers...or anyone interested ^^ (1 Viewer)

veriante

HSC
Ladies and gentlemen,

I am a short story writer suffering through much criticism due to the topic of my choice. It's one of those dark, hopefully deep and gothic, scary kind of stories that in truth seems to be where my main talent lies when it comes to writing.

I wish to discuss the concepts of love and death through the focus of stalking, using the idea of a stalker and the stalkee to explore the conflicting views on concepts and with the aim to simply frighten...to freak out the audience that reads it through empathy with the characters to make them think that they might be capable of carrying out the stalking or being the stalked.

Now...since you know about my story idea, if you have any opinions I would appreciate it. I need some gruesome ways to kill people, any freaky approaches for the stalker to use and some religious rules that the stalker should have.

Also, one question I would like to throw to you is whether, at the end of the story, I would require some kind of 'light'? Or if sheer fear would do the job...any replies would be appreciated...thank you ^^

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
Firstly: I personally really like leaving the end of the story dark. It makes the rest of us appreciate the light we can find.

Secondly: There have been people who have taken the worlds hardest Genres and ripped ass at it. Basically, it comes down to your ability. I think if you trust your ability to write a ripper Gothic story, then go for it. However if you have SEVERE doubts then i wouldnt. Thats just me, but then again, im not writting short stories, Im criticising them :)

mibiony

"fully sick"
HSC
Sounds like a very challenging task, which perhaps may require you to do a lot of research into this genre, find out its roots and develop ideas about what it is you are going to actually write, and then put yourself in a characters shoes and think of a really bad and grose way that you would never like to be killed. (you can make kilings so slow and painful)
I personally think its a very odd piece that you are aiming to write, and like the previous thread, if you have any doubts about it don't do it, don't do it to prove people wrong, do something within your own capabilities. Know your limit, know ur weakenessed and strenghts and use them... everyone has potential to achieve anything they put their mind to it.

:: dreami ::

Diamond BOS'er
HSC
I am assuming you havent experienced what you are writing about!

It would be good research to read how other writers have done this. Read a couple and see if you could write along the lines of that. If you have second thoughts, I would reconsider or maybe just restructure the piece.

fuckfoot

has no soul
HSC
do locksmiths take oaths to use their powers for good and not evil?
sorry, this just got me thinking.. can anyone be a locksmith these days?do they do personality tests on these people?

super katie

BEHOLD!
HSC
Originally posted by fuckfoot
do locksmiths take oaths to use their powers for good and not evil?
sorry, this just got me thinking.. can anyone be a locksmith these days?do they do personality tests on these people?

god thats a bit of a freaky thought... I sure hope no one else has a copy of my keys...

lil_trublz

woohoo!

If you have been doing individual and society,in ext 1,then i think you should go ahead with this genre of Gothicism,,as it relates to it in many ways,,romanticism,individualism,gothicism,,,,your going to find yourself researching alot of theories and it can b very confusing,,but i like ur idea,,,veryy goood,,go aheead>!>........im doing a bit of a gothic/horror/romantic radio drama,<<,ishh a goood topic nigz

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
freaky ways to kill people aye :D

1/ sticking their head into the fan belt/grille of a muscled up v8 and and revving it to a nice red line
2/ nail gun up the nose
3/ dangle someone by an earring or piercing off the side of a building
4/ castration or similar operation using a seemingly unrelated instrument, ie self castration with a fork
5/ eyeball scrub with razor
6/ facial wash with napalm
7/ flush those bowels out with a weedwacker
8/ aim: to test how far a pen can descend into the ear
9/ skullfuck ?
10/ gag to death....ill leave the gag to your discretion

boz-foogle

Banned
Just read American Psycho. You will find it incredibly helpful in many aspects of your major work.

co+ca

Im doing a gothic major work as well. its actually based on religion, and the idea of God "speaking" to people, and the way that people do strange things because of their faith. in my story, a woman believes that god talks to her and tells her that if she crucifies her neice she will be the mother of the second coming -the next Jesus Christ.
i think you'll be fine with a dark ending, i think its kinda a cop out to have a light ending at the end of a dark story just to please other people. although, i suppose this story is written just to be judged and marked.
im having trouble with the end of my story too- ive decided to leave it open, and let the audience decide what happens for themselves. is this a bad idea?????

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Just think of all the interesting things you can do with a crucifix...

asha_ramirez

HSC
Originally posted by co+ca
Im doing a gothic major work as well. its actually based on religion, and the idea of God "speaking" to people, and the way that people do strange things because of their faith. in my story, a woman believes that god talks to her and tells her that if she crucifies her neice she will be the mother of the second coming -the next Jesus Christ.
i think you'll be fine with a dark ending, i think its kinda a cop out to have a light ending at the end of a dark story just to please other people. although, i suppose this story is written just to be judged and marked.
im having trouble with the end of my story too- ive decided to leave it open, and let the audience decide what happens for themselves. is this a bad idea?????
I agree, having a light ending to finalize a dark story is .. well a cop out. Mine, basically, [will] end with everyone dying... how exciting... haha.

Leaving the ending open isn't a bad idea as long as the story is strong enough [in plot, primarily] for the reader to be able to have enough information to come to some sort of meaningful subjective conclusion for themselves.

So as long as your story is strong enough, then leaving the ending open is o.k.

PS: How PostModern of you! =P

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)