Opinions on Tesla Motors (Electric car company) (1 Viewer)

turntaker

HSC
Do you think Tesla Motors will have a great impact on electric cars? Or will it just die out?
Personally I am very impressed with the Model S and the fact that the latest version of the Model S P85D can do 0-60mph in 3.2 seconds. This is the same speed as the Nissan-GTR which is a coupe sports car that costs 130,000+

The Tesla S also has a range of 500km (85kw version) and 350km (65kw version)
They also charge very quickly.

If you haven't heard about Tesla or the Model S check out this video and/or do some research. Its amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QweNsLesMrM

acronical

HSC
Umm a bit of misleading info there. This is from the Tesla site. http://www.teslamotors.com/en_AU/models/design
However I like the direction with these cars and think they are the way of the future. Before you know it, you'll have electric car models which will be using regenerative braking (like mazda's skyactiv) and solar panel recharging too. Doesn't unsw have research into solar cars or something. I can't remember exactly what it was for but at open day they had a solar car on display.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
This is the same speed as the Nissan-GTR which is a coupe sports car that costs 130,000+
Even though that sounds like used pricing for the GTR it's a bad comparison, the base model S is 100k over here - P85D would probably be twice as much at least. Better comparison would be the cars that the GTR is compared good value to (i.e. super cars)

turntaker

HSC
Umm a bit of misleading info there. This is from the Tesla site. http://www.teslamotors.com/en_AU/models/design
However I like the direction with these cars and think they are the way of the future. Before you know it, you'll have electric car models which will be using regenerative braking (like mazda's skyactiv) and solar panel recharging too. Doesn't unsw have research into solar cars or something. I can't remember exactly what it was for but at open day they had a solar car on display.
What's misleading though.

acronical

HSC
The 0-100 times are different as advertised by Tesla themselves for the base models and aren't close to the GTR times. If you are comparing the P85D to the GTR, its actually going to be at a cost much more than a GTR, probably over 200 000 AU.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
The 0-100 times are different as advertised by Tesla themselves for the base models and aren't close to the GTR times. If you are comparing the P85D to the GTR, its actually going to be at a cost much more than a GTR, probably over 200 000 AU.
Yep, but that being said I think Tesla's approach to electric cars is the way of the future. But I still hope good petrol cars will remain feasible to run as weekend cars or something for enthusiasts for the rest of our life time. If/when that does happen, it'd mostly be older sports and super cars i'd say - current models will have no appeal against the electric cars.

acronical

HSC
Yep pretty much what I said in my first post in this thread. Would be a shame to see petrol cars run out but its inevitable in the world we live in. I've always been more inclined to your typical sports and performance cars rather than your supercars. Also I can imagine formula 1 and le mans and nascar and all of those big competitions with supercars too will still being up and running for enthusiasts. They would probably be up and running because some of the rich enthusiasts or companies would be willing to fund and sponsor to keep it going for their own leisure.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm impressed by the concept and that it made it to market but I don't think I want to be a buyer just yet. Would rather wait and see the industry and technology mature.

astroman

HSC
It will be big, it's growing in the US but once petrol soars through the roof here in Aus, we will be more interested in Tesla

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Australia doesn't have the supercharger stations yet ... If the infrastructure isn't there, tesla sales won't go through the roof (in AU)

It will shake up the car jndusty !

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)