OPTIONS which one? (1 Viewer)

abdooooo!!!

Banned
what option is everyone choosing or thinking of choosing?

has anyone actually started their options?

im thinking of doing forensic chemistry because its the only one that sounds kind of interesting and it overlaps with the biology stuff as in DNA and spetroscopy is always interesting.

SoFTuaRiaL

in our school, each class does a different option, depending on what ur particular teacher is comfortable with. but we are in a way allowed to choose our option as if we're not happy with what our teacher teaches, we are free to change our class.
btw, i did Shipwrecks and Salvage.

countrydude

hmmmmm
HSC
N/A
What is the easyest option??

I am looking at the sylabus of biochemistry of movement and it looks simmalar to the stuff we do in pdhpe.

so what do you think??

abdooooo!!!

Banned
i think Shipwrecks and Salvage is the "easiest" and most chosen option in the new HSC course, but you should not choose whats easy but which one that you're good at or familiar with because they scale the options mark so there is no advantage.

abdooooo!!!

Banned
in our school, each class does a different option, depending on what ur particular teacher is comfortable with. but we are in a way allowed to choose our option as if we're not happy with what our teacher teaches, we are free to change our class.
may i ask which school did you went to and what did you get for your chem mark last year?

SoFTuaRiaL

Originally posted by abdooooo!!!

may i ask which school did you went to and what did you get for your chem mark last year?
yea, i went to Epping Boys High .... got 87 !! i wasnt too happy with that though ...

abdooooo!!!

Banned
i'm not 100% sure about this, but it'll be pretty stupid if BOS did not have scailing for the options, because its like 25% of the exam mark and it could be the difference between getting 95 or topping the state by choosing an easier option over a harder one.

anyway, who knows why the options part in all the science syllabus is so long compared to the core? its like twice the size.

kini mini

HSC
...because they scale the options mark so there is no advantage.
I don't think that the option marks are scaled, at least I never heard any mention of it :confused:

I did chemistry of art, which was pretty interesting because it was about physical chemistry. I'm interested in that, and I was doing quanta to quarks in physics so there was a substantial overlap :p.

anyway, who knows why the options part in all the science syllabus is so long compared to the core? its like twice the size.
I don't think it's longer than the core at all...

SoFTuaRiaL

they scale the options mark so there is no advantage.
no, i asked my chem teacher the same thing, they dont scale the options seperately. however, they ask harder Qs for the 'easier' topics to bring all options to the same level of difficulty

mannnnndy

chocoholic
I did shipwreaks & salvage. Its by far the shortest option (like about half the size of the others), and half of it is already covered in the first topic. But theres quite a bit of electrochemistry, so if youre not very good at that u might want to pick something else.

abdooooo!!!

Banned
Originally posted by Da Monstar

no, i asked my chem teacher the same thing, they dont scale the options seperately. however, they ask harder Qs for the 'easier' topics to bring all options to the same level of difficulty
that may be true, but i don't see how they can say whats difficult and whats not. isn't scaling as in comparing the marks of your core with what you got in the option the way of determining how hard it is.

the only way i think they can make the questions harder is making it more ambiguous or having more strict marking guidelines, so i think i will have a look at the questions of the options and marking guidelines to see how they differ.

in the end, i hope anyone option shouldn't have a big advantage over the other cause i don't want to get disvantaged by choosing what i like.

Originally posted by kini mini

I don't think it's longer than the core at all...
if you look at the syllabus all the options are nearly twice as long as the core, but from reading the text books i agree that its not longer than the core.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Our teacher says we have to do Industrial Chemistry *shudder*.... I wanted to the Chemistry of Art one..... it might have been something in chemistry which for once actually interested me...........

SoFTuaRiaL

Originally posted by braindrainedAsh
Our teacher says we have to do Industrial Chemistry *shudder*.... I wanted to the Chemistry of Art one..... it might have been something in chemistry which for once actually interested me...........
lets see, wud u be interested in doin arts/sci at uni ? :D

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Originally posted by Da Monstar

lets see, wud u be interested in doin arts/sci at uni ? :D
Actually I didn't know what I wanted to do when I picked my subjects in yr 11 so I just tried to cover the common prerequisites.... I want to do media and communications now........

abdooooo!!!

Banned
wouldn't it be nice if you can pick the options from the physic syllabus. to me the least interesting option in physic is far more interesting than any of the chemistry ones.

why is chemistry the most common prerequisites after math? is chemistry that important? how many people actually become chemists???

SoFTuaRiaL

wouldn't it be nice if you can pick the options from the physic syllabus. to me the least interesting option in physic is far more interesting than any of the chemistry ones.

why is chemistry the most common prerequisites after math? is chemistry that important? how many people actually become chemists???
whats the point of doing chemistry if the elective is goin to be from phys??? and who says chem is the most common prerequisite?
i dont know of a single degree where chem is a prerequisite but phys is not. on hte other hand, there r degrees which have phys as prerequisite but no chem .....
and as for "how many ppl become chemisits", visit my "uni chem" tread ....

Twintip

I confirmed it with my teacher who is an HSC marker - the options marks are not scaled.

It's actually harder to get band 6 in Shipwrecks & Salvage than you think. There is a lot of stuff you need to talk about in almost every answer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)